Best Way to Remove Lacquer/Epoxy From Briar?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
I bought a BBB Own Make Virgin a while ago that was slathered in some sort of impermeable finish by a previous owner (visible in the pic below). I like the pipe, but want that nonsense gone, whatever it is. Wiping it down with isopropyl alcohol made it a bit tacky, but didn't take any off, so I gather it's probably not shellac. Steve Laug on Reborn Pipes recommends acetone as the next step if it's lacquer and, apparently, deep despair if it's epoxy. How do you all strip this crap off briar pipes? I thought I'd check if anybody has a secret weapon for this before going to town on it with acetone.

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
Thanks, Embers. I was afraid it was too harsh, but then my wife reminded me that she used to use acetone on her fingernails. It took a couple hours and a lot of scrubbing, but all that lacquer eventually came off, and it turns out there was a pretty little pipe under all that stuff. Pretty beat up, but I like it.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Thanks, Embers. I was afraid it was too harsh, but then my wife reminded me that she used to use acetone on her fingernails. It took a couple hours and a lot of scrubbing, but all that lacquer eventually came off, and it turns out there was a pretty little pipe under all that stuff. Pretty beat up, but I like it.

View attachment 6225
Looks great! The good thing about acetone is that it removes the lacquer without removing the stain.?

Reactions: Ahi Ka
Status
Not open for further replies.