PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

thomasmartin

Can't Leave
Jul 13, 2015
Unesco world heritage
I will travel to Thailand in three weeks. It's Monsoon season over there which means very hot and humid weather. I was thinking to take something light and mellow such as EMP, Presbyterian or London Mixture. What think you!

aroanian

Lurker
Feb 12, 2014
how about Three Years Matured?
latakia and heat/humidity are not really good friends in my part of the world...

calabashed

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 10, 2015
It's totally subjective of course, but I also can't stand Latakia when it's humid. I think a good VaPer or straight Virginias are at their best when it's warmer, especially red VAs when the humidity is up but it's important to dry it pretty well first.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
It's totally subjective of course, but I also can't stand Latakia when it's humid. I think a good VaPer or straight Virginias are at their best when it's warmer, especially red VAs when the humidity is up but it's important to dry it pretty well first.

Pretty much sums up what I was gonna say...
But then I saw this,
Sorry. I forgot to mention, that I smoke English/Balkan blends exclusively. But I would choose something light. MM965 and Nightcap better stay at home.

So maybe I'd recommend something like Rattray's Highland Targe or Red Rapparee.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
I live in Florida- hot and humid almost year round...and I tend to smoke primarily Stonehaven and Escudo year round...

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
After highly spiced Thai food, a stronger blend in the evening might taste good, in small quantity to suit the length of your trip. Otherwise your light and mellow agenda sounds good. So much depends on personal taste. I'd have to take along some burley, but there are lighter blends of those.

thomasw

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 5, 2016
After highly spiced Thai food, a stronger blend in the evening might taste good
So true...
Again so is the fact that
it's totally subjective of course
Accordingly I will recommend something I'd take along to Thailand but based on what you stated about your tobacco preference:
I smoke English/Balkan blends exclusively. But I would choose something light
By "light" I understand mellow. So here goes...
A couple of my friends, who have a preference like yours, have found that they really enjoy my ODF because it strikes them as a 'mellow' contemplative evening smoke that is accords with their desire for a flavourful but 'light' English. I've read Mac Baren actually considers ODF an English because of the hot-press processing; but whatever it isn't what most would consider to be an English because of its constituent tobaccos. Nonetheless I recommend ODF because it is a rich & very mellow cool smoke that is great after some spicy Thai cuisine. ODF is a great kentucky forward flake that seems to appeal to those who generally like the smoky latakia forward blends; therefore it could be a great gateway blend for you into the rich, mellowness of dark fired burleys in general. Of course, with such advice YMMV.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
It depends. If you're just visiting, Early Morning Pipe. If you're on a missionary trip to convert the natives, Presbyterian Mixture. If you want to take the whole damned thing over and add it to your empire, London Mixture is the way to go.

calabashed

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 10, 2015
Sorry. I forgot to mention, that I smoke English/Balkan blends exclusively. But I would choose something light. MM965 and Nightcap better stay at home.
Have you ever tried Black Frigate? Not exactly a traditional English blend but the Latakia and Orientals are present. Hard to describe the flavor but I think it's definitely one that would be suited to warm tropical days.

thomasmartin

Can't Leave
Jul 13, 2015
Unesco world heritage
What about Potlatch? It meets my requirements but since many of you think that Burley works well in these conditions, this could be a alternative to the strictly British blends I mentioned.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I do not believe in objective/subjective. It is a religion of which I will not partake.
In my experience, your best bet is Burleys with optional Virginias for sweetness, but dark fired at only condimental amounts.

thomasw

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 5, 2016
Interesting. Is ODF anywhere near Golden blend/Golden extra?
ODF has more smoky, nutty dark-fired tasting burleys than Golden Extra which is w/o them. Also GE has more virginia sweetness in its flavour profile.
@deathmetal
I do not believe in objective/subjective.
A false dichotomy? I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on the topic. Shame that I live so far north; it'd be enjoyable to share a bowl and hear your rationale.

Status
Not open for further replies.