PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssavarimuthu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 14, 2016
I'm currently in my masters, and I actually will begin my second masters this Fall. I am constantly reading and writing, and would love to smoke my pipe while doing so. What style pipe do you all recommend so that I don't feel like I need to constantly hold it in my hand due my jaw hurting from clenching. Also, a longer smoke would be a plus since I do have longer studying sessions.
Thanks!

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
The two things, weight and volume are almost inversely proportional. If you want low weight and high volume, you'll end up with a pipe with thin walls that burns hot. Get a small, light pipe, like one of the old Kriswill script lettering pipes, and smoke flake or or other pressed blends. There are some nice stack Kriswill's, but again, they are small, so they don't burn hot when sipped. Bengal Slices will last a long time in a small bowl.

blackmouth

Lurker
Feb 2, 2016
Clenching comfort is all up to the smoker.

Don't focus on "style". Instead focus on weight.
Still, a comfortable weight to clench will also vary from person to person.

To be safe, for now...I would say go with a Missouri Meerschaum cob of whatever style you like.

They are light so that nearly anyone can clench them comfortably.

The MM Cobs also have plenty of larger sized bowl options.

The only negative is that if you are a "hard" clencher, those plastic bits won't last long.

Fortunately, replacements are less than a $1.

May 31, 2012
A swan neck bent billiard is a very good choice for extended effortless clenching.
The shape was made famous by Dunhill, but he swiped the idea from the French.
You can find many different interpretations of the shape made by many different makers in many different sizes,

the old French-made examples can be had for pennies-on-the-dollar and bargains abound.
I have exactly one example of the shape,

it is made by Ashton...
84XPxx7.jpg

I0W3BSa.jpg

HBkmpPz.jpg

gtclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 3, 2013
A nice Peterson bent system pipe with a "p" lip is the perfect pipe for "dangling".

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Agreed. A full bent pipe has less leverage on the bit so if of equal weights it'll feel lighter than a straight. Combine that with light briar, or meer and a thinnish wall, you'll hardly know it's there!
Congrats on almost finishing those degrees, Prof.!

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
I smoked pipes when I was in uni but I have never been one to keep the pipe in my mouth very long. I kept a pipe rest/stand on my desk and laid the pipe in it often. Yes it went out but so what, I relit it.
A matter of personal preference of course, but I might think about getting a single-tube hookah.

averagegent

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 22, 2016
I would suggest a bent style pipe. I too am a student, and though I have an affinity for poker pipes, the majority I find too cumbersome to dangle for long periods of time. Hence why I smoke another pipe I have great affection for, the Savinelli 305. I would suggest one of the Peterson 'Speciality' line, extremely petite pipes... Happy smoking and studying! :puffy:

May 31, 2012
Wow, mlc, that is an amazing Ashton. How many X's?
Thanks,

it took me a while to find this shape in the smaller size,

XX.
Weighs 39 grams.
It's an absolutely effortless jawhanger.
Easily my most comfortable clencher.

:puffy:

rfernand

Oct 2, 2015
I used a Peterson B11 (which sits). It's an odd shape, but quite functional for reading / writing / coding. Now, as for "best"... yikes. That'll ultimately be up to you :)
peterson_fermoy_army_smooth_9mm_b11_1__81744.1450821214.750.750.JPG

texmexpipe

Oct 20, 2014
Really anything long enough to keep the smoke out of your eyes, and light enough to clench without thinking. Also I might recommend a cob as they require almost not attention and can meet the first two points. I tend to smoke to fast when doing something else at the same time, even reading, so a Cob it is for me for those times. Also they are dirt cheep!

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
Young man, may I suggest the obvious? A churchwarden is what you desire/need. Forget the rest,if you wish to impress anyone your dedication to study,take to wearing pyjamas during the day. That look along with a churchwarden will surely impress all & will add to your smoking enjoyment.

ssavarimuthu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 14, 2016
Thanks for all of these suggestions! I'll look into getting a bent pipe that would allow it to be anchored rather than clenched.

Status
Not open for further replies.