PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
In my view, what you really need is a good chair. At that point, any number of pipes will do. Remembering my studying days, I would have gone with a cob because the sheer chaos of student housing makes it unwise to have fragile, expensive objects lying around.

janosh

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2015
Hungary
1250d07cb642d15a1a258249f7ea9fa7_zpsltjbwwbp.jpg~original

Any questions?

bigboi

Lifer
Nov 12, 2012
Nice Avatar!!! Anyway, since I too am a studying student. I find that whatever pipe I am in the mood for is the proper pipe.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Of the cobs, which are typically light enough to clench, I find the Morgan model to be my favorite for that purpose.

My half bent pipes are very easy clenchers, too. Any 'classic' and standard size pipe should be balanced and easily clenched. A Canadian works well because it keeps things out away from your face.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
"Anyway, since I too am a studying student. I find that whatever pipe I am in the mood for is the proper pipe."
I feel much the same.These days I only read for edification and enjoyment. For me it will often come down to a lightweight bent of some kind.
Mrlowercase, that Ashton is a wonderful looking pipe and must be a true pleasure to read with. The stem and shank are just elegant.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
+1 on r's Peterson B11. I like them so well, I own two. They're sitters with ample bowls, light weight, and nice balance. Another alternative, though not a sitter, is the Missouri Meerschaum freehand, which is light weight, with a fine deep bowl and an acrylic stem. Many other possibilities, but those are good ones. I also have a La Rocca poker, which sits of course, with a big bowl, if you can find that.
Good luck with your graduate work. I loved being in university, and felt hugely lucky to be there. I had minimal income. A small allowance and assistantship as an undergrad, and GI bill as a grad student, but with wallowing in the study, devouring the library, and having expanses of time to read and write, I never felt more wealthy. The course work was the deal. The rest of the campus hoopla was occasional fun, but not so much. I met my wife in undergrad, and my late wife in grad school, kindred souls.

ssavarimuthu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 14, 2016
Thanks mso489.
And thank you for sharing your experiences with graduate work. I really enjoy being student, although some days can be better than others. I suppose it says something about me that I will be pursuing another masters degree this Fall!
Thanks again everyone! I may look into that Peterson B11.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I would vote for an Oom Paul with a nice flat bottom. You can let it dangle when you want, and sit it down out of the way whenever you want.

tims

Lurker
Feb 8, 2016
"A nice Peterson bent system pipe with a "p" lip is the perfect pipe for "dangling"."
I agree..
I have a 317 with a p-lib , small lite and large enough bowl for a decent burn time

pipefish

Can't Leave
Aug 25, 2013
As a teacher who is usually buried with marking history essays, I'm finding this post quite helpful as well Please keep the suggestions coming! I usually smoke a cob when working, but the Falcon pipes have always intrigued me. Very unique look those.

Status
Not open for further replies.