PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipesmoker99

Lurker
Sep 30, 2017
hi i am the noob who ruined a nice pipe by burning bayleaves. I made a pipe out of bamboo and it works ok but it is getting old. should I get a clay or porcelain pipe?
do they take much more abuse than a wooden pipe?
Also is it safe to smoke out of a porcelain/clay pipe with an acrylic stem.
I found some corncobs at a smoke shop but the cashier said not to buy them because the stems are glued to the bowls making it unsafe because of burning glue fumes.
-thanks for your insight.
RULE 9- Please Capitalize Your Titles... Thank you, Zack

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I had a similar concern about cobs recently, upon buying my first one: glue in cobs
Turns out it's not an issue. I'd second that with advising you to buy a Missouri Meerschaum cob, which are good quality.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
Clay pipes are good for sampling new blends, but be careful the bowls do get hot. Cobs are the answer for a durable inexpensive pipe for beginners. The cashier at the smoke shop evidently doesn't know much about cobs. I'd avoid any further advice from that person.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think the acrylic stems/bits on a clay pipe are a good idea. The clay itself has been believed to be a health hazard directly against the lips; I'm not sure how much actual evidence there is, but it has been claimed. Some other stem/bit material, other than clay, is preferable I think. MM cobs and Old Dominion cobs (with reeed stems) are both good pipes, for starters or for anyone. Other good, durable pipes include Dr. Grabow (I recommend the Royalton series) or in a small pipe, EWA at Iwan Ries, among a number of others. You can get a good briar pipe for under $40 or $50 if you go with good traditional brands. I like the Dagner/MM poker nose warmer for about $24, with an acrylic bit and a good big bowl. I bought mine from the MM site, to support them. For durability, the Dr. Grabow's are good. There are many junk pipes out there, but if you stick with good brands from reputable retailers, you'll likely do fine.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Cobs are the answer for now, and Missouri Meerschaum the best in class. I'd avoid all clays as they are quite breakable. A used pipe "estate" for a few bucks is also a good answer to your question. Or was it the beginner that can take abuse? :)

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I agree with the advice given so far, but if by "abuse" you simply mean smoking it a lot without proper rest, then a meerschaum will serve you well. Just be sure to buy one with a conventional-pipe style mortise and tenon design like this:

wgm-mortise-bollitopipes1.jpg

...and not like these draft-restricting monstrosities:

SFT-3-1.jpg
SF1524-1.jpg

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
The answer is: cobs.
They are good friends when learning about everything.
You will find yourself looking upon them fondly in the future.

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
Not sure what to say. Most beginners can't take abuse.
... throw the cow over the fence some hay...

phantomwolf

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 14, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
MM Cobs are great. If you wan't to experience briar though, grab a Grabow or a Mr Brog- If you somehow manage to ruin the pipe, you aren't really out much($15-20). Breaking a pipe in is a lot less complicated than you think.

arty

Lurker
Oct 8, 2017
Corn cobs all the way! Get you hands on good quality cobs from Missouri Meerschaum. I've smoked in one and there's no glue fumes or anything. Can't say the same about poor quality China-made cobs though.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Yup wasnfisher is correct. DO NOT BUY A COB MADE IN CHINA!
I would say only buy a real Missouri Meerschaum or an Old Dominion cob.
Also seriously you smoked bay leaves? Just stick to pipe tobacco. lol

jorchamp

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 21, 2016
On the recommendation of an experienced smoker, I started with an estate pipe. I would suggest going to an online dealer eg. Smokingpipes, choose a brand you recognize (or someone suggested).and a price your are comfortable with. You should be getting a pipe that already broken in and probably a decent smoke, and in good condition to smoke.

Status
Not open for further replies.