Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Sorry, yes yes... I was distracted by... I was trying to hold my coffee with my left hand and spilled the shit all over my keyboard. Where does one get these left-handed coffee cups?
Well, it just so happens that I received a shipment of them from Mars and as I have an exclusive planetary distributorship I'm in the position of offer you a golden shower of a business opportunity. :)

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Where does one get these left-handed coffee cups?
I thought everyone knew? I got mine at the Left-Handed-Emporium. They have everything needed to complete your left-handed lifestyle:
Coffee Cups:
41Ub3IMWLzL.jpg

Pencil Grips (for when you need to make a right-handed pencil, a left-handed pencil):
61XERVJQ7dL._SX425_.jpg

And even Left-Handed Pipes!:
s-l1600.jpg

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
I like my Peterson special D5 (Narrow tall bowl)for folded flakes,nonthless Its a bit hard to keep going if the tobacco is not properly dry,another Peterson which I prefer for lightly rubbed out flakes(especially those of Burleys ones)is the Rhodesian 999 model with medium size conical chamber.

Going back to the original pre-piss-shower discussion. Salted inserts the assumption, again, that shape of the bowl has no affect on flavor. Even though we have discussed that many, many of us do discern differences in flavors. However, it is NOT flavors that we discuss here. But, merely a pipe that makes inserting a folded and stuffed flake easier.

Sure, there is no one geometry that is commercially called a "flake pipe." I don't think I have ever seen that in marketing literature for a pipe.
However, there are pipes that people may prefer to chose as their own private "flake pipe."
We can return to the discussion on how Salted is totally wrong in his presumption that pipe geometry doesn't affect flavors in another thread. I can pull out the usual images, stats, and pie charts for that one. :puffy:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
For one example, the Peterson 999 Rhodesian is a fine mid-size pipe for flake. I happen to have the Killarney.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
I only smoke my own pipes, so my experiences are limited to those lucky few. I have one Peterson 999. I have not gotten flakes to behave well in it. Too many relights for a shallow chamber. It is very good with ribbons. The pipes that work best with flakes for me have billiard or dublin/bulldog type chambers (Cosmics 1 and 2) small to medium sized. The dublin/bulldogs are more prone to tighten into a soggy bottom mess.

I plan on buying a Peterson one of these days. I have been looking at their shape 221. It is a bent billiard on the smaller side. I guess it would go well with flakes. As would many others.

A billiard. Go for a billiard, that is my advice.

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
We can return to the discussion on how Salted is totally wrong in his presumption that pipe geometry doesn't affect flavors in another thread. I can pull out the usual images, stats, and pie charts for that one.

Kind of an interesting thread when I went back and re-read the posts. After re-reading, I was left scratching my head a little as to who saltedplug was so riled up at. Not that it matters, but the op definitely didn't need a reprimand by any means. I did admit to smoking some flake from time to time in a pot - not my first preference but willing to stray off the beaten path once in awhile.... yeah, must of been me. Sorry.

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
Ok, I'll tread carefully. Oh, and billiards, billiards all the way for me. Go billiards!

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I also enjoy some flake tobacco in conical chambers.
I smoke burley flake in my morta, which has the cylindrical shape "A" in Cosmic's first post. I smoke the Old Dark Fired in a Dublin shaped more like "B" in that illustration.
While the burley flake seems not to differ, I definitely get "deeper" tones in the second half of the ODF flake that I have attributed to the conical shape. I suppose there could be other factors involved, but I've not identified them.
You should always try many combinations of things to find what works best for you and, even if others disagree, well it's your smoke and as long as you're satisfied, life is good.
jay-roger.jpg

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
My post was arrogant and angry. I apologize. More, I've posted like this any number of times and it really needs to stop. Again, I apologize.

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
And for the record, I'll never smoke flake in a pot again. Well, if I do, I just won't admit to it.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Some say they prefer the conical shaped bowl when using the fold and stuff method for flakes as they claim doing so helps to leave a bit of an air pocket in the heel of the bowl allowing for better air flow and in theory keeping the tobacco burning longer.
Flakes can be a bit stronger nicotine wise, so if you're going for a bowl of Peterson's Irish Flake I would suggest using a smaller chamber size, so you don't keel over from the nicotine. Other than that it's all personal. For some VAs sing in a Dublin shape for others English blends do well in a squat bulldog. You might want to alcohol/salt treat the pipes and try the blend in different shapes to see how they react for you and once you find the shape that works best dedicate the pipe to that blend style.
As for the favorite Peterson series I would have to agree both of the Sherlock Holmes series are iconic Peterson. I'm planning on putting together a personal seven day set of them.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I'm not sure this will make any sense to you nor that you really want to know, but my salt is a rebellion against the pepper of existence. It is self-will. While angry and arrogant I feel powerful when in fact I am powerless.
Returning to earth there about a half-dozen myths about pipe smoking that I rub up against so often that they piss me off. Opinions are fine but not control.

Status
Not open for further replies.