PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kane

Can't Leave
Dec 2, 2014
So many of you seem dedicated to the flint ignition Old Boy lighters that I am curious to see what I've been missing. Never had a butane lighter. Just Zippo and matches, of which I have no complaints.

It seems that the Corona Old Boy is most common, but I also see that Peterson offers one, as well as other.

Which brand and version of the Old Boy stands out as best? I am looking for quality and durability. I know some come with a built in pipe tool, and some do not. That matters less to me than build quality.

Any thoughts you would care to offer are greatly appreciated.
Thank you!

ember

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 8, 2014
Do a search in the forums search Tab there are a few question and answer posts on this very subject .. Just saying because I have been looking at these same lighters and the consensus is stick with old boy but I'm a heard head and I'm still not convinced lol Also admin may just close this post out because the question has been answered a few times already ..

Oct 7, 2016
The standard Corona Old Boy has gone up in price considerably over the years. It has given me wonderful service, but the going in price would give me pause if I were in the market now.

ember

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 8, 2014
The Peterson goes for 120's the Kabuto you can get for 80 s people seem to Think maybe they are made by the same peeps IDK if that's true

kane

Can't Leave
Dec 2, 2014
Thanks, Ember. I actually did search, did not find much comprehensive info directed specifically to the variety of Old Boys, mostly more general lighter recommendations, eg., Zippo vs Bic vs Old Boy vs matches, etc. I know how much they go for; was looking for recommendation from those who have compared quality of different versions.

Sorry if I am beating a dead horse.

ember

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 8, 2014
Its all good brother ..I've read were a few guys have both the Pete and the old boy and most said old boy over the other. And I think the reasoning behind it was reliability when it comes to striking to light

Consensus was OB was more reliable ..

ember

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 8, 2014
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/whats-so-great-about-kiribi-lighters-well-tell-you#post-706060

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
That horse isn't dead yet. This is a more focused question.
Many manufacturers have, over the years, made butane versions of the lift-gate petrol lighter. The Dunhill Unique and Slim were at the high end. I have a Corona Old Boy and have found it to be highly reliable. There are new-manufacture cheaper versions, but I don't have any experience with them.

kane

Can't Leave
Dec 2, 2014
Thanks, guys. Ember, thank you very much. I appreciate your input. Looks like the Corona, Kirbi, and Peterson are all pretty good. Maybe it does come down to price after all.

Perhaps I should have said "Lift and Gate" style lighter, or "Old Boy Style" as I think Old Boy may be Corona's model name. But you all know what I mean. Sounds like there was an earlier fluid, or petrol, version. I'll have to do more research in to the history of these things.

Cheers

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
When folks say.. as good as an Old Boy then I assume the Old Boy is the best! I have an Old Boy for 5+ years. Never a problem don't go cheap on the butane.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
The best old boy. :mrgreen:
match-on-fire.jpg

kane

Can't Leave
Dec 2, 2014
I assumed "Old Boy" referred to the style, what woodsroad refers to as "Lift and Gate", but it appears Old Boy is Corona. Now I am on that dead horse I think. So let me ask: has Peterson or Kirbi done a better job than Corona with their version of the venerable Lift and Gate lighter? Sounds like Doc thinks not.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I've got a Kiribi and it works great. I get a week or two out of a fill without a problem.
If I had to do it again I wouldn't hesitate.

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
I have an Old Boy I use at my desk and love it but outdoors the flame usually won't stand up to any breeze at all. The old zippo takes care of the outdoors time. The term "best" needs to be qualified by intended use.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

I have a Room 101 IM Corona Old Boy (Small Diamond). The lighter is heavy, dependable, easy to maintain, and has a pick/tamper tool that I use all the time. The biggest complaint I hear about these lighters is about the soft flame, and in fact it is a soft match like flame (adjustable) that makes it hard to use in the wind. I am primarily an indoor smoker so it has never been an issue. I'm not sure if the Room 101 versions are still available or not?
d21ab24bbd51cbab8194aae6b7d93582.jpg

Jul 12, 2011
I had one IM Corona ~ black/chrome that I beat the living !@#$%^ out of - slipping out of hand, hitting the ground, tile, etc. hehe and doing this for almost 6 years before it finally kicked on me. I snagged another one about 6 months ago, which I'm very careful with now, so I'm sure without dropping it will out live me. A GREAT pipe lighter that seems to hold endless amounts of fuel :worship:

cally454

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 31, 2012
I have an old boy and a Kiribi. I reach for the latter almost always. The flame will not scorch a bowl even if you try. You don't have to remove a screw cap to fill. It has a pick on the side I thought I'd never use but I do all the time. The old boy does have a tamper which is nice and the cap mechanism seems better designed and built. Wouldn't surprise me at all if they're made by the same factory. They seem very equal in quality

Status
Not open for further replies.