PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

phxrock

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2014
Has anyone tried P&C Best of the Rest? If so what did you think of it? I am considering this for a all day smoke.
Thanks

John

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Considering that it's a blend of 'whatever' only you can make that decision. As for me, I want to know what I'm smoking and know that it will be the same thing the next time I purchase it. Bottom line... just not for me.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
P&C Best of the Rest. I have a couple of pounds of it around here somewhere! Tell you what, for $12.50 a pound, if you don't mind rollin the dice it's GREAT! Some batches better than others, but all in all I'll smoke it...

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
I've bought two pounds of it and can't complain. It depends on what they were selling that day. Russ O. says 90% of the bulk they sell are aromatics. Smoking Pipes has the same type deal only they make four different 'blends' out of their spillage. I also bought two pounds there. You pretty much get what you pay for. :roll:

phxrock

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2014
Thus far you guys are saying what I expected. 2 pounds of this is better than 12oz or 14oz of the codger blends. Just bought a can of Carter Hall cost me $30.00. Just occured to me I may have to buy some cobs so my petes don't get goasted by those aros.
John

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
I don't know if I would go that far. Carter Hall is a great blend(to me), and worth every penny I pay for it. With Carter Hall I know what I'm putting in my pipe every time I do it...

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
For me, it would be like taking all the last sips out of everyone's whiskey glass after last call and combining them. Sure it's cheap, but it's random and like weezell, I'd personally prefer to buy Luxury Navy Flake, which is actually cheaper than Carter Hall. smokingpipes has 14oz of CH for $2.45/oz, while you can get 16oz of bulk LNF for $1.90/oz.
Plus, every batch is a one-off: liking what you get one time doesn't mean you'll like it next time.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
I don't think there's enough difference from one batch to the next to be concerned about. Main thing is it's cheap as hell, and like I said, you get what you pay for.
@Phxrock, try looking at Smoking Pipes assortment of Grand Croupier. There's four different choices. 8)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'd take the gamble now and then in small quantities. There are so many well blended named brands

at reasonable prices, I don't think I'd want a pound of unknown. I'm mostly a non-aro smoker, so this

probably wouldn't do it for me. The list of excellent bulk tobaccos in loose, flake, plug and rope is long.

Status
Not open for further replies.