PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I've found myself looking at meer pipes lately.
I must admit I don't feel informed enough to know what I'm doing.
Please share some trustworthy meer pipe sources and info on what one should look for.
I'm looking for probably a traditional shape with a long-ish bent stem and larger chamber.
Thanks.
jay-roger.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I second the question. What are some good quality moderate priced Meers with push stems. Solid not composite.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
I can only speak to the one meer I own and even that has only been a few weeks.
I looked around a lot but I could never find a pipe in the style I liked at a moderate price (under $100)
smokingpipes.com usually has a number of estate meers at reasonable prices, but I'm not a fan of carved faces and such. Other than asking the seller about the stem connection, its usually not shown and I got lucky with mine. Its a push on stem with a metal "stinger" thing and a metal lined mortice.
As far as pressed or solid block. I can't help there. I've only smoked mine which is solid block, but I've heard from plenty of people that pressed smokes just as well.
The name escapes me right now, but there's a German (I believe) fellow on youtube that has a lengthy video on meers and its very informative. Here's the link
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFrzVXXQtAI&t=1468s

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I prefer briar-style tenons, not the nylon/teflon types with restricted draws.

(linked)

I have a meer by Tekin, 0.8"x 1.6" chamber, and the draw is just fine.

tonypuff

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 27, 2011
Ive purchased probably 75% of the Meers i own from Smokingpipes, you really cant go wrong with any that they currently have listed

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
For meers by Baki and Tekin check out:
http://bestmeerschaums.homestead.com/bakipipes.html
There's a sale on Tekins right now...I just snagged one.
I was sorely tempted by the breathtaking Baki basket weave with silver rim, but managed to satiate the PAD with the Tekin.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I haven't seen a meer in many years I desire. So it's been a long time since I purchased one, 30 years I suppose. I can't really address today's market. I own seven. Only solid meerschaum and I'm not a fan of African pre-colored meerschaums nor do I favor artificially coloring. I have never seen a meerschaum where the initial wax coating was smoked or abraded off. So adding additional wax only imparts a temporary waxy color, in my opinion.
Meerschaums are easy maintenance, same as a briar, except no cake. Cake inhibits coloring. Handle the pipe, when warm, by the stem if you don't want to use a cotton handkerchief or glove and desire a fairly uniform coloring. Wiping the bowl after it cools, so to let the residues soak into the bowl, will minimize caking, a careful paring now and then when necessary.
There is no guarantee as to even coloring. Coloring depends on the structure of the meerschaum, you will get anything from a gradual, from the heel up the bowl to mottled. It's a crap shoot mostly. Finger prints, oil and dirt will affect the wax coating and will insure uneven coloring.
Again, my views are based only on anecdotal evidence, 50 years of smoking meerschaums almost exclusively in the evening, at home. I pick one after dinner and will smoke three or four bowls before bed.
Meers are brittle, not as brittle as they appear though. But, I do favor treating them gently, especially the very ornately carved ones. A drop on tile, asphalt etc. may be catastrophic. Carpet is more forgiving.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
What are some good quality moderate priced Meers with push stems. Solid not composite
Really won't find much like that under the $150 mark. More often the $250 mark.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Anyone dealt with Old City Land on eBay? I found a design I like but can't find any feedback good or bad.
Thanks.
jay-roger.jpg

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Of the 18 meerschaum pipes I own, they're all from a variety of artists and vendors and range from 50+ years old to brand new. You can find great meerschaum pipes without spending a ton of money too as I've gotten many great deals on mine from ebay to private sales to online vendors.
Yanik, Tekin, Yavuz, Baglan, Baki, Servi, are all great, as are numerous other master carvers but you can find some really nice pipes from lesser known carvers too. Check out Meerschaum Depot at Pipes and Cigars. I got a really nice one from them a short while back, and it is a great pipe. It has a push pull tenon as well. Other good vendors are Altinay, SMS, IMP, Meerschaum Market, Meerschaum Store, Storient, Altinok, Royal Meerschaum, and Paykoc.

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
Emin is another name to watch for. Great carver. I am smoking one of his eagle claw meers now. Positively superb!

jerry

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 2, 2009
Western Massachusetts
Meerschaums crafted by Mr. Baki (in my opinion) are consistently excellent. Used ones pop up on EBay from time to time. The ones from Fred’s collection aren’t inexpensive, but worth considering. Again, just my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.