Status
Not open for further replies.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Winton's post about his bad experience with his First B&M visit gave me the idea for this thread.
What is the best B&M visit you've ever had?
Mine was at Nat Sherman in NYC.
Everyone that works there knows everything about pipes, pipe tobacco, cigars, and everything else they sell. They have their own tobaccos which are excellent too.
I showed up there with a cameraman on a 1-day notice and Mike Holba did an impromptu interview that turned out so well, you would have thought we scripted it and rehearsed for hours.
It turned out well because he knows his stuff - he knows the business, the customers, the pipes and the tobaccos ... and he is passionate about it.
When I took out my Nording Hunter Series pipe to smoke, Margery Kessler (yes, a woman), was experienced enough to immediately say, "Nice Nording Hunter Series!"

hilojohnny

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
My best B&M visit was my first one that occurred in Ann Arbor, Michigan in 1957.....it got me started in this wonderful journey. The shop is now gone....the tobacconist is gone....but the memories linger..... :D

flipflopsandshades

Can't Leave
Dec 12, 2010
My experiences, about 4 total, were not stellar. I have gone to Davidus Cigars in Rockville and Annapolis here in Maryland and though the first time was okay, the sales staff knew scant knowledge about pipes each time I have shopped there.
My last visit to Draper's in D.C. was okay and they had lots of selections of baccy and pipes, you could still sense the overwhelming bias towards cigars.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
My first experience at a B&M was in 1970 in Passaic, NJ. Place could not have been more than a couple of hundred square feet and the owner had to have been in his mid- 70's at least. I explained that I was interested in pipes and showed him my yellow bowl and packet of Middleton's Cherry ( sound familiar guys?).

He gave me an hour tutorial on all things pipe and when I left his shop I had a new GBD Pot and a tin of Baby's Bottom.

That was my Freshman year of college and I visited that store at least once a week until the "old man" passed away some 10 years later.

He was old school, honest, loved his business and loved his customers. Those lessons carried my through life but I never really got a chance to thank him properly.

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
My best experience with a B&M was The Smoke Shop in Annapolis, Md. Pete & Co. really know their stuff about all things tobacco and are very friendly. The only problem with them is that parking is a super PITA. You can read my article about them here:
The Smoke Shop
Flipflopsandshades Said: I have gone to Davidus Cigars in ... Annapolis here in Maryland and though the first time was okay, the sales staff knew scant knowledge about pipes each time I have shopped there.
Oddly enough, I have applied for employment there almost every time that they are hiring and for some reason their GM Frank, has never got back to me. Maybe I know too much... :|

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Way back when there was a smoke shop in about every mall I got my start from a couple of fellows who knew tobacco and knew customer service. The London Square smoke shop is long gone as is the mall where it used to be. But I still have pipes I bought there in 1970 and recently ran across one of the nifty match boxes that I got there along with fine tobacco.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
It seems that my best experience is always the last time I visited.

Today's visit was a prime example.
Met a couple of members of Pipesmagazine.com for a smoke and some chat. (William and Raymond) We stood in front of the tins display and talked about what we liked, what we didn't, and why. And, just generally shot the breeze.

Bought some baccy from the proverbial pain wise a$$ all round good guy behind the counter John. Then stoked up a bowl in the smoking lounge in a big comfy overstuffed leather sofa, when in walked the "General" a long-time customer. He was regaling us with "sea stories" and history when William asked him what was in the little bottle he had sitting in front of him. It was a small soda pop bottle shape with a cork stopper.

He said it was "torpedo juice". I was fortunate enough to be offered a sample.

It was a truly magnificent Cordial.

Then the wife called and I had to go...

Seemingly just another afternoon at The Briary.

menckenite

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 21, 2010
Alabama
It was a very pleasant visit and my first time to meet Raymond and of course The General. Yes indeed, The General. He was telling a war story while poor Lawrence was trying to make an exit for his family in waiting. Lawrence was a true gentleman and let The General finish before thanking the man for his juice and saying his goodbyes. After Lawrence's departure, I was soon offered a glass of said drink. It was remarkable. I enjoyed both the company, the tobacco, and the secretive Torpedo Juice which it's mixture is under Presidential orders to never be divulged! And that's a fact.

pipetrucker

Sep 13, 2010
Following the white rabbit
Uhles in Milwaukee is my favorite. Always friendly and helpful. I have never had a bad experience (except for spending way too much money) there. My second vote would be for Edward's in Tampa.

mattia76

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 24, 2010
My first good one was at Just For Him in Springfield, MO. Awesome and knowledgeable staff. The owner taught me to pack a pipe properly after I'd been unsuccessfully fooling with one for a few years. Half of their shop (probably 800 Sq feet?) is a lounge where ALL types come to enjoy a bowl or a cigar after a long day's work.
My other place is newer, but also in Springfield, MO.

The Albatross. Extremely knowledgeable, friendly staff. Know their pipes, cigars, and hookahs well. The entire joint is a lounge. Plus, it's in downtown Springfield, which is very cool.

buck67

Can't Leave
Aug 4, 2010
Little Rock
My best experience is my first ever trip to my local B&M in Little Rock. The man behind the counter helped me get started by selecting a cheap, no name pipe (in case I didn't take to pipe smoking). He could have tried to corner me into a high dollar pipe first off but didn't. He suggested a sample pouch of Wilshire (1Q) to start off with, a tamper and some pipe cleaners. I left the store knowing that I could go back at anytime and get advice and whatever I needed to continue my pipe smoking hobby. Nothing has changed. They are super nice and knowledgeable and always welcome me when I walk through the door. :clap:

flylot

Might Stick Around
Dec 17, 2010
Serious Cigars on Richmond Avenue in Houston. Not my first stop in a B&M in Houston but now it's where I "hang". Though the owner who usually stays at his north Houston store is a cigar guy, Miguel who is regularly there at Richmond Ave.is pipe guy who has extensive knowledge and has blended me two mixtures that I have yet to find anything in tins as good.
Miguel first started me with a cob and a few bowls of "this and that". He quickly found my tastes and I've been a regular customer ever since. His two blends are my "go to" blends that I smoke mostly.

oldjazzlover

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 4, 2011
My favorite experiance was at Pipes and Pleasures in Columbus,OH. Their Main St. location. The customer service is absolultely great, all of their enployees are well versed in tobacco and always willing to help. They also encourage you to spend time in the store and sample their blends and love to talk with their customers to learn thier likes and dislikes. They have a willingness to help you to come up with a blend or mix that you will just love! Damn I miss living up there!

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
I will second the motion for Serious Cigars on Richmond Avenue in Houston . Very nice people and a good selection of pipe tobaccos . Fair prices on tins and pipes .

collindow

Jul 15, 2010
Portland, OR
I think my best experience pales in comparison to some of you guys'.

But here it is: The second time I went to Rich's, they knew who I was. I'm not used to stores where people behind the counter, when saying "hi" aren't just saying it at some anonymous customer, but someone they remember and know. After just one visit, too!

htmn246

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 11, 2010
my first good experance was in Bellingham WA. B&M called Sie Winstons then i quit smoking for about 30 yrs. started again last year and goodn exp. and good times at the Brair Patch in Sacramento CA. great people.

wallbright

Aug 22, 2010
My first B&M visit for pipe tobacco was to Romeo's Downtown Pipe & Tobacco in Rogers. I know you did a write up on the store Kevin. Anyways, I had a hard time finding the place so I called the shop and Frank answered and gave me directions. I got there and I asked him to show me the basics of pipe smoking and asked if he could help steer me towards my first real blend. We sat and talked for two hours about pipes and everything related to them. He gave me free samples of different tobaccos and even invited me to his pipe club. Very nice guy and I am fortunate to have such a fellow running the local B&M. I heard he is having to move though because the neighbors complained about the smell of smoke. I hope he stays nearby.

lyst36

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2011
My best experience was, and is, at Puff n Stuff here in Atlanta. They are very friendly, know their stuff, and encourage you to hang out with your favorite tobacco. There are always people there hanging out with their pipe or cigar and a friendly smile. I've even been known to get a few free samples from them. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.