Best Adhesive to Re-attach a Silver Ring to a Meerschaum Bowl?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kane

Can't Leave
Dec 2, 2014
I have an IMP meerschaum pipe with a sliver bowl ring. The ring came off when I was wiping the bowl down with a paper towel. I see no trace of adhesive, but it will not stay with just a press fit. What is the best adhesive or way to reattach the ring to the bowl? What would tolerate heat and work with both materials?

Thank you
img_2939-600x450.jpg

img_2940-600x450.jpg

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
If you can slightly reform the ring to tighten up the fit a little I would try that first and press it on snug before I went off trying to goop it up with epoxy or some other glue.

cranseiron

Part of the Furniture Now
May 17, 2013
McHenry, MS
Failing that, you can't go wrong with epoxy. JB weld is a high temp epoxy and can be gotten at Lowe's, Home Depot, etc. Use it sparingly.

cranseiron

Part of the Furniture Now
May 17, 2013
McHenry, MS
With respect,and this is just my opinion, but metal expands and contracts with relative temperature. The ring would heat up from smoking and likely expand at a greater rate than the meer-- if the meer mineral expands at all-- it might, but certainly the metal will expand more (?). Assuming a different expansion rate the ring will likely continue to fall off unless adhered in some way.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
You might be right Cranse, but if it expands, it might expand outwardly and inwardly too and stay on, and just have worked loose over time and need a tweak to snug up again. Doesn't sound like it had any glue to hold it on originally.
Compounds tend to outgas over a long period of time as they age. If it still has any odor then it is still outgassing.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Working in the Refining industry we use all kinds of Machinery. Pumps have wear rings and the tolerances are very very fine. The wear rings are chilled and slip fitted on, believe me they stay on. The ring could be sized down smaller and chilled then pressed on. The expansion I believe in smoking would size it on. Just my take on it IMHO.

kane

Can't Leave
Dec 2, 2014
Thank you, gentlemen. Appreciate your ideas. I am going to try the tweak, chill, and press, and see what happens.

On the other hand I was thinking it might be cool to ditch the ring all together if the rim could be reworked to look nice with the plateau top, but I have no experience carving or working with meerschaum.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
any form of poxiline would work ... it gets like glass once dry, and it is very resistent to heat. But if there is a way you can make it work without glue, I would give that a try first ..

Status
Not open for further replies.