PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

frostyforge

Lurker
Mar 30, 2010
First off, I apologize if this was already covered, I did some searching but couldn't find anything on this.
I've made a few corncobs this past couple years, but I've got a TON of oak that I want to turn into some pipes. But I'm getting tired of using wood stems (they leave a weird taste in my mouth after a while) and wanted to get some "real" stems. The only problem is, I want to make some of them bent, but my local tobacconist (sp?) doesn't carry any stems, and I can't find any place online that carries bent stems. Am I looking in the wrong way? Or is it just that its way to early and I've been up way to long and my brain stopped using what few cells I have left and I missed something obvious?

recurl

Lurker
Aug 14, 2010
Bend the stem yourself after you fit it up. Just take your time and heat it slowly with a heatgun or propane torch.

duncan

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 28, 2010
New Jersey
I would think for the "bend it yourself" method you can heat the stem up in boiling water to keep it from burning the stem.

frostyforge

Lurker
Mar 30, 2010
The boiling water would probably work best, thanks ya'll. Surfmac: if I put a small rod the same size as the hole that would keep it from warping.

Status
Not open for further replies.