PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
Bent. Unless I'm driving. I have no idea why but straight pipes are easier for me to drive with.

dervis

Lifer
Jan 30, 2012
Hazel Green AL
When I started it was only bents. 10ish years in I have 3 times straight to bent. Don't know why the change but it obviously happened.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
The head count is 44 bent, 38 straight and 2 churchwardens in my stable. Guess I go both ways :rofl:

guhrillastile

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 29, 2013
I smoke both. But all depends on the setting. Mood dictates demand...Hahaha and sometimes vice versa.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I REALLY want to enjoy a straight pipe, but for some reason, they always end up leaving my rack. So, I finally gave up. I have one straight pipe, a wonderful smoking GBD Seventy-Six Bulldog. When I see a ODA shaped billiard, I so much want to enjoy them. (like Peck's recent Rad purchase) I'm not so much a clencher, but a drooper (???) and bents seem to hang more comfortably that way.

mobeasto123

Lurker
May 12, 2013
Both are really useful from what I know as I'm still a newbie. When I sit down have a time relax I find that the bent style pipe fit really well in my hand and I can puff without any problem. I would say the bent is more natural when you are sitting. I prefer the straight for every other situation as I can hold it better in my mouth without holding it with my hands. but to each it's won preference
David

jonahtke

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2012
I tend to lean towards strait's myself, since I'm not a clencher and like to gesture with my pipe while I'm holding it. Although in my recent PAD browsing I've found myself lingering on several bent shapes as well.

latbomber

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2013
I like both but probably prefer bent just because I like having a good view of the tobacco when im lighting.

timely

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 23, 2012
Have both and like them both, but I will say that smoking a bent while reading is easier for me. I notice no difference in smoking quality between the two. And yes, some bents can be a pain to clean.

chagovatoloco

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 19, 2013
I ONLY collect Peterson system pipes, full bent. I will buy others but only so sell make money and purchase more Peterson system pipes. I guess I'm a little compulsive.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I like both but not a fan of full bent. I prefer a 1/8 to 1/4 for my bents. I can get away with a heavier pipe in a bent but prefer pipes under 50 grams for straight. In terms of cleaning the straights are of course easier, but my bents are really not a big deal. In terms of smoking I do not see a difference in terms of the quality of smoke I get.

hogfoot

Lurker
May 10, 2013
The matter is mostly aesthetical to me. My first favourite pipe was a bent, now it is a straight. Ordered my meer bent though. As others have said, the bent is more comfortable to use when the hands are occupied as they are not as heavy to clench with the center of gravity being moved closer to the mouth. Straights are easier to swab, though bents are easier to light (seeing as one can see the tobacco).
They are only minor differences, and as a result aesthetics decide what I purchase and my mood what I smoke, far more than any practical concerns.

decigar

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 2, 2013
I like bents but they are harder to run a pipe cleaner through. I'm still a newbie and make newbie mistakes like trying to smoke every last piece of tobacco in the bowl. On straight pipes I've had hot burning ash shoot to the back of my throat. Not on a bent pipes or maybe I just learned my lesson not to smoke it all the way down =)

oklansas

Can't Leave
Apr 16, 2013
DC
I'm a fan of straights - esp. featherweight ones. For my bigger pipes, I tend to favor half-bents - that are closer to the straight size. But, then again, one of my favorite pipes is a full bent volcano - so my love of straights is likely more of an aesthetic choice.
However, my wife likes full-bents, so who knows.
They're all great when they smoke well.

javajunkie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 26, 2013
Try one of each for yourself! Most of what you will get is opinion based on aesthetic, in which case outside opinion will be kinda useless to you. I think the most important thing is how any particular pipe smokes for you, in your own smoking habits, with your preferred tobaccos.
FWIW, I started with a fixation on half to full bent, and am coming around to enjoy full straight pipes. I so far have bents that can hang better, and some that cannot. I have straights that can pass a cleaner easier, and some that cannot.. Mostly, I have eighteen pipes that I am enjoying the process of learning about, how each smokes and what tonaccos each performs best with. It is taking me some time, but I am enjoying the journey. o)

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
Its a little bit like asking blonde or brunette! Everyone has a favorite. I have both and like them both. There are also semi bents too! As for me I'll take the redhead and a semi bent!! :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.