PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
This classic mixture -- Virginia, Burley and some dark-fired leaf -- forms a spicy and tangy mixture on its own. The "mellow" in "Mellow Virginia" is that this blend produces a full-bodied smoke bursting with flavor but lowers the tang, despite having topped the rubbed-out flake with what tastes like honey, citrus or apricot, vanilla and a faint floral essence. The Virginia rises on the tongue with a sparkly vinegar-sweetness, but then the Burley and dark fired rise as a counterpoint, picking up the sweet flavor and melding it into the caramelizing Virginias. This creates a toasted nut and grain flavor where the toffee-like top note takes a background. It loads easily with a dump and tamp, burns slowly and is remarkably bite-free, giving a long-lasting bowl of gentle but flavorful smoke. Wish this were available in the states.
Thanks to Pipes Magazine Forum member "mawnansmiff" for this sample.
http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/1074/benson-hedges-mellow-virginia#review94895
A really tasty blend, "Mellow Virginia" has been enjoyed quite a bit over the last few days here. This is one of those fire and forget blends that remind me of everything I like about OTC pouches, namely that they are designed for non-fiddly all-day enjoyable smokes.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Good review Brett and glad you enjoyed it. It would seem that a lot of UK OTC blends are much appreciated in the States where for whatever reason they are nigh on impossible to get hold of which is a shame really.
Regards,
Jay.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
It is a real shame, but my guess is that with most people smoking OTCs, and boutique blends having attracted a specialized audience that seems frequently to dislike OTCs, manufacturers are not taking a gamble on selling high-end OTCs... or at least were not, until the return of St. Bruno.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I think we need a Pipes Magazine Forum yacht to go truck over there, raid their tobacco supplies, drink their beer, meet some good people and have some great times, then come back with a ton of great blends, land in Mexico and walk them over the border.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I did something like that for forum members in the past until a nameless member who has never posted since legged me over for a quantity of St Bruno and ran off without paying!

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Ouch! I see that internet ripoffs have not changed since the USENET era. Still disturbing, saboteurs of community in my view.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"I did something like that for forum members in the past until a nameless member who has never posted since legged me over for a quantity of St Bruno and ran off without paying!"
Simon, I remember reading about that incident. There is low and there is low, and that 'character' is even lower than that.
Moral of the story...never bite the hand that feeds you.
Regards,
Jay.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Sadly Jay the actions of one member impacted the whole group. Actually it did take up a lot of time as most requests were for one of two pouches so I would batch them all together so it would take a good six weeks just to organize the ordering. Because of the delays I would order and pay for the stuff and then send it out with an invoice. With the exception of the one individual everyone else was prompt, honorable and paid the minute they got their USPS tracking number and many close friendships have developed from doing this stuff. I still occasionally give Dan the odd thing to toss into the box pass but then my taste in pipe tobacco is notoriously limited to put it mildly! I hope the guy who scammed me for the box of St Bruno choked on the damned stuff, although I have heard that he had been a bit sharp with other forum members on tobacco trades. All water under the bridge now.

Status
Not open for further replies.