PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

unkleyoda

Lifer
Aug 22, 2016
Your mom\\\'s house
I really enjoy Bengal Slices. I smoke them periodically, but not all the time because they are very rich.
Are there other blends out there that are English mixtures with an anise/licorice top note? I know about Fusilier's Ration, already. I'm not looking for a full on aromatic, but something lightly topped like Bengal Slices.

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
I don't know of another English blend with anise but have you tried the G&H licorice flakes?

wolflarsen

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 29, 2018
Bengal Slices is a hard one to beat.

The only other blend with latakia and anise/licorice that I know of is green label Sail. The latakia is very light and, to be honest, I don't like the stuff and wouldn't recommend the blend to anybody.
Uhle's #225 is an excellent smoke with a light anise/licorice topping but no latakia.
Blackpool is the only other anise/licorice topped blend that I smoke but it's more along the lines of a full blown aromatic.
I'd love to hear other suggestions on this topic. I'm quite the sucker for sweet and smoky blends and almost always a fan of licorice flavor.

pandapiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2018
D&R English Hoopla could be a potential alternative. Another sweet and smokey one I've been enjoying is Cup O'Joe's Adirondack Tiger Slices, though it's lacking the topping .

hoppes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 15, 2017
Might try Hearth & Home Sweet and Smoky. Made up of Virginia, black cavendish, burley and latakia. It has some kind of "warm essence" added to it that I can't identify. Maybe some vanilla ? Packs easily. Smokes well. No goop. Said to be a cross over English aromatic? Great taste, little nicotine and plenty of smoke. After taste is mild and not unpleasant. My 2 cents only. Hoppes

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
@unkleyoda, I am a big (huge) fan of Esoterica Ramsgate. It has a light anise/licorice topping that hits the spot for me. I chewed Kodiak for years and to my palate this tobacco has a similar vibe. The good thing about Ramsgate is that it is not pursued like the other Esoterica blends and you can actually obtain it and put it in regular rotation. PM me if you want a sample.

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
I got a tin of Bengal Slices from my secret Santa this year, and I can't wait to try it. I'm not an aromatic guy per se, but lightly topped blends are often very satisfying to me. I'll have to add Ramsgate to my wishlist as well. Thanks for enabling, guys.

luigi

Can't Leave
May 16, 2017
Europe
I have finally opened a tin of the famous Bengal Slices for the first time. I did expect a lot after many positive reviews and ¸all the praise. And it still surprised me a lot. Nice fat slices, really thick - double or triple size than usual flakes, a pleasure to rub out and to fill a bowl. A unique flavour, slow burning, a pure pleasure. Can't wait to get more. If you haven't tried it yet, don't hesitate for too long. You know what happened to McClelland and Dunhill. :) Seriously, it's good stuff, I should have tried it earlier.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Thank you for your kind words Luigi. I am always humbled by the praise we at SToP receive for bringing this blend back to life with Russ O's help!

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
I love Bengal Slices, but if you are looking for something else with anise flavor, a lot of people do not realize how much is in Peter Heinrichs Dark Strong Flake. I was shocked by how good the tobacco was, but how persistently the anise flavor popped up.

Status
Not open for further replies.