PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
while traditional shapes are more my style this was an unsmoked estate and i could not pass it up i have several Winslows and they are good smokers, this one is very good, good draw smokes cool The old cajun

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
I was really into free hands back in the 80's. These came from Preben Holms' shop:

Ben Wade Regent:

b0cf591f.jpg

Rungstedt Seafarer:

757cd05557d4740ad2e317e50bc06605.jpg

Jobey Danske:

7f140466.jpg

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Cool pics guys, thanks for sharing. Everyone of those must be incredible smokers. I don't know how you could ever heat one up with those thick walls. Are they real heavy or are they lighter than they look?

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Harris that Ben Wade is a large pipe but I think it is not heavier than my large winslow, I am really happy with mine.I love the good info here on this forum by the folks, helps you make a good decision. The old cajun

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
My Ben Wade is very heavy. Definitely not a clencher, heh heh. The Jobey is fairly light for its size. Both the Ben Wade and the Rungstedt have huge bowls, and will go for over 90 minutes with ease. The bowls on all of these barely get warm in hand.

mlaug

Part of the Furniture Now
May 23, 2010
Iowa
I'm not a clencher, so pipe weight was never a consideration for me. I love them for the beauty of the grain, the finishing styles, and the flow of the freehand shapes they produced.
My Unicorn Sable from new sponsor Dave Neeb arrived is yesterday's post. Its beautiful and is smoking like a dream.
cajun- Beautiful pipe.
papipeguy- A Golden Walnut and a Danish Pride?

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
McLaug thank you, and thank you for all the good info on Ben Wades, if I remember right you are the farmer, big equip is on my farm soon to cut the sugar cane. The old cajun

mlaug

May 23, 2010
Iowa
I don't know a thing about cane cutting. :cry:
Where is the processor located at from where you live? I was wondering how far the cut cane has to get hauled.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Refinery is 30miles from my farm 18 wheelers haul the cut cane, approx 2ft stalks after cutter gets thru with them, used to cut whole stalks, they burn the fields before cutting to get rid of leaves and trash,the cutter looks like a praying mantis, 2 worm screws at a 45% in front pull cane in cutters, with wagons running alongside spitting cane in wagons, 2 years ago it was so muddy, 2 tractors chained back to back pushing mud like a tidal wave, hard year. The old cajun

mlaug

May 23, 2010
Iowa
Cash rent?
What is land renting for in your area? Here in my part of Iowa rent runs $450-475/acre.

cajunguy

Jan 22, 2012
Metairie, LA
I've owned a number of Wades (Gold Walnuts and a Tawny), and all were fantastic smokers. All the ones I ownered were Danish manufactured, so I can't speak about Wades of other origin. Unfortunately, most were far too big for my jaw strength to handle. Pipeguy is right--most are very light--but they tend to be long, and sometimes the mechanical disadvantage on the jaw can be a burden.
But to anyone thinking of purchasing one, I highly recommend them. They are truly fine smokers.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Love unearthing discussions long dead.

I hit the motherlode last summer when I walked into a junk shop in Mississippi that had a Ben Wade Martinique, Ben Wade Royal Grain and a Preben Holm Delight. I cleaned and restored them and they are all very good smokers. In fact, they are all three at the front of my rotation and get smoked weekly.

The one on the left is the Ben Wade Martinique, the one on the right is the Ben Wade Royal Grain.

ZM1gHYJ.jpg

This is the Preben Holm Delight.

YwvQ6Or.jpg

panamacharlie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 13, 2016
Once again here are the two Preben Holmes that I bought in the 70's or early 80's. I liked the one I bought for me so well that I bought one for my dad, I reclaimed it when he passed. When I smoke one in public I never fail to get comments.

62mW2iW.jpg

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
@embers - That last photo you posted looks similar to a Soren I found last summer - at least from one side it does. The photo is from the other side.

It's a pretty good smoker too.

lpG8EJy.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.