PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

damnyak

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2012
Northern, Ontario. Canada
Okay story, just walking around a local antique market, and I stumble upon the behemoth! At first I thought it was a handicraft, a log pipe, horn mouthpiece..but then I took a gander it and low and behold it was one of my favorite Pipe Co.'s ROPP. The Cherrywood wonders of France. Okay I thought, seem legit, but the horn mouthpiece, that must be aftermarket. A quick phone search and sure enough, nope. The Horn is OEM. Figuring from the name "Bassang", it not the name of the pipe, but the location, dating this to around the 1900's ish....
Not sure if I am going to keep it, as I am possibly in the market for a new recurve bow, But I will smoke it regardless, its the size of a freakin' mug of coffee.
Same pics but bigger here.
IMG_0789.jpg

IMG_0790.jpg

IMG_0791.jpg

IMG_0793.jpg

IMG_0794.jpg

IMG_0795.jpg

damnyak

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2012
Northern, Ontario. Canada
When I got it the top was completely black with no grain showing. I know since Ropp's are not "stained" I just took Alcohol to it and cleaning it lickity split. Then polished it on the buffer.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Absolutely awesome for all the reasons stated above...

As for that new bow... Forget it. You'll need the cash for baccy.

If that bowl is as deep as it looks in those photos, it'll take a half tin for every smoke. :D

:puffy:

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
That pipe is...what's the word I'm looking for?!?! Oh, yes, SUBSTANTIAL!!!
I once bought a large Oom Paul from Marty Pulvers and, when I inquired about the pipe, he wrote me to warn me it was very large. It is a dwarf in comparison to your pipe!!!!

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
That may even rival some PipefriendCHS pipes. Wow! I'd probably reccommend staying away from smoking Irish Flake in it. A regular sized bowl has been known to have people praying to the porcelaine god. A bowl that size may induce a stroke. lol. If it doesn't smoke well then it'd make one hell of a paperweight lol. Enjoy!

cynyr

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 12, 2012
Tennessee
I think that's short for BAD ASS THANG!
I wonder about that knot-looking thing on the rim. If it's a fill, it sure fits the scale of the pipe. Could it be a chamber of some sort? Store an extra ounce of tobacco? Spare mag for the Glock?
Seriously, tho, that pipe is Formidable.

mick

Can't Leave
Aug 13, 2012
Your local antique and flea markets continue to impress me! That's an awesome find! :clap:

Status
Not open for further replies.