PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cohiba007

Might Stick Around
Nov 12, 2018
Orlando FL
So being a daily cigar smoker for the last 20 years I very much understand that taste is subjective. However I really want to try, like most of you once did, many different types of tobacco to see which once I really enjoy. My first package being derived today and tomorrow have 2 pipes, Jocono Rock Dublin and a Peterson fishtail. Tobaccos ordered are Chelsea morning and an aromatic sampler from 4noggins. Three nuns Cornell and Diehl red carpet Christmas, and jolly old Saint Nicholas and lane limited 1-Q. Not knowing anything about pipe tobaccos can a few of you please make a few more suggestions of what I am missing? Virginia? English? And brand etc. Also are there any other online vendors that you all recommend? Not really that many pipe shops around Orlando that I know of. Plenty of cigar shops though. :)

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Mac Baren's "HH" line of tobaccos -- primarily because they are unflavored, and cover the major blend genres. Just type HH in the search box at https://www.smokingpipes.com/search/main-search.cfm

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Eventually you will want to try Escudo and Capstan Blue Flake. Both are excellent examples of their specific genre. Escudo is a Virginia/Perique and Capstan is a straight Virginia. You will need to learn about smoking flakes, plenty of videos out there.

nitemair13

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2018
North Carolina
Peterson Gold Blend is good for starting out I think. It was the second blend I tried and have kept it stocked ever since

Also their Sherlock Holmes blend is good too. I transitioned from cigars as well and I liked the sweeter tasting cigars really. The HH brand mentioned above is also good for getting to know the individual tobacco tastes. Also Captain Black is as good starter as well and can usually be found at Walgreens believe it or not. Also C&D Haunted Bookshop is a good one to try.
Try out the sites store locator feature and see if there's anything close enough to travel too. A good B&M will always help as the tobacconist there will help guide you. I learned a lot by visiting one about an hour away from me. Getting to smell the different kinds of tobacco really helped me figure out what I liked. Plus you meet fellow pipers as well.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
Samuel Gawith Cabbie's Mixture is probably my favorite Virginia Perique (VaPer) right now. It's worth snagging. Haunted Bookshop is a good burley blend as mentioned above. GL Pease Sixpence is a nice VaPer with some dark fired, which is barely an aromatic and might help lead you to more straight tobaccos.

artificialme

Can't Leave
Mar 15, 2018
That's quiet an order you got there. When I start smoking pipe, I got 4 @0,3oz sampler from my friend. Got me addicted though :)

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
The guys have given quite a list of tobaccos for you, but I would add G.L. Pease to the list. He has a number of outstanding latakia blends and virginia/perique blends. Whatever you do don't mix blends with you pipes. Dedicate some to latakia; some to vap/ers, and some to aromatics.

loadclear

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 13, 2017
As a recovering cigarette and cigar smoker, here are the blends I wish I would have tried earlier on:
MacBaren HH Old Dark Fired (either flake or bulk ready rubbed)- A Nicotine healthy Va/Burly- Very strong (good) flavor
C&D Billy Budd- Strong flavor, a bit of cigar leaf
Peter Stokkebye Luxury Bullseye Flake- A bit milder than the above, but a great tasting smoke
Captain Earle's Ten Russians- Heavy on the smoky Latakia, but an easy smoke for the beginner as it cannot bite the tongue.
The Samuel Gawith blends sound like they're good, but I've not had luck finding any of them in stock anywhere (except Squadron Leader recently which is very mild).

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
There are so many. Two pleasant English blends are Nat Sherman 536, among the most refined English blends with a condimental dash of burley, and C&D Tuggle Hall 965, a Calabash based English that has robust flavor. I think these would be pleasing but not the same old standard recommendations for first English blends.

hiplainsdrifter

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 8, 2012
Instead of blowing money on tins of tobacco's that you might not like, I suggest getting some samples. Many members here have dozens of jarred tobacco's and would probably send you a nice sample pack for very little cost. I would oblige, had I not just got rid of almost all my open stuff. I have tried 50-100 different tobaccos, but I am happy now with just a few favorites. Definitely try a Balkan blend and a Virginia flake. Wessex Campaign if you can get it.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Perhaps some descent quality imported Burley forward blend such as Amphora Brown or Mc Baren Golden extra would do nicely,these like simply blends are good choice for working hour smokes,I also smoke virginia forward blends but in my opinion these may require more attention and concentration.

wulfheard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 18, 2018
New Jersey
Honestly if you are looking for a good middle of the road burly, try anything that approximates the old Edgeworth ready rubbed tobacco. Unfortately Edgeworth is no longer in production but Lane Ltd makes a replacement and there is also a Match replacement on the "Pipes and Cigars" website. As far as aromatics go, give some of the Lane or Sutilif products a try. Many of them are not bad once you give them a little drying time. As for English blends; I can't really recomend any as most of them do not agree with my pallet, but by all means...give an English or 2 a try, you might have a different experience.

acidpox

Can't Leave
Nov 18, 2018
I've only been smoking a pipe for a few months now and have only tried a handful of blends. With my limited experience my top favorites so far are
1) Dreams of Kadath by C&D- To me it's a very complex blend that seems to magically change flavor the whole bowl down.

2) Captin Earles Nightwatch- A Latikia blend that I love after a long day or after a few beers.

3)HH Bold Kentucky-just perfect when I want a great tasting strong nic no bells or whistles tobacco.
Also so far I've had great luck ordering from cupojoes and smokingpipes, will probably try 4noggins next, been wanting to get my hands on some hobbits weed.

Status
Not open for further replies.