PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I'd read about the various temperature ranges of the typical pipe lighting mechanisms and considered that the cooler the initial flame the cooler the tobacco's initial burn, and fuller flavor as a result.

Seems that a hemp wick light is about as cool a flame as it gets.

Added benefits are that your ash tray doesn't fill up nearly so fast if you typically use matches.

The duration of your flame becomes your own decision, not the length of the match or the heat of your lighter.

I've been using wick to light my pipes for a few months now, and I'm convinced it's the best way to go.

I use a 'jet' butane to start it off...takes just a moment...and shake or blow out the flame when I've done with it and pinch the wick to still the ember.

Re-lights or half bowls (if you're so inclined) are easily reached with a length of wick. I bought a few hundred feet of it in a roll and take it out in segments of several feet and put it into a home made dispenser.

Highly recommended.

Reactions: Usman

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
Newbroom... so glad you wrote all this, THANK YOU... I've been reading elsewhere on the Forae here about the same thing. I placed an order last Thursday and am excitedly awaiting a "complete hemplight kit". The company seems a little sluggish so your thoughts will help me to stay with it. I can see tons of advantages to this... I smoke mainly 9mm filter pipes so, if committed to match-lighting and judicious, mystically light-touched tamping, I can generate a large pile of matches. I DO NOT dig the S/Phospho blast from matches and I have noticed a butane flame is great but is risky around the rim of precious briar bowls. So upward and onward! Thanks again!

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
I use a hemp wick once in a while too when I have the time to really sit and enjoy my pipe. What I like to do is light an unscented tea light candle which I use to then light the wick. The candle adds a nice ambiance to the room and makes it easy to quickly light my wick. Silly I know, but it just seems to me that if I've struck my lighter I may as well use it to light my pipe since it's already lit. The candle is always at the ready and saves the step of using the lighter.
newbroom it was your post, months ago, that got me interested in trying the hemp wick. Glad I did. :puffy:

Reactions: Usman

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Got a link to the hemp wick seller?
"The candle adds a nice ambiance to the room and makes it easy to quickly light my wick."

And, you can fart as much as you want while smoking!

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
And, you can fart as much as you want while smoking!
That's always a plus!! lmao
I just went to the local head shop and picked mine up there. They had everything from tiny spools to big balls of it. Any place that sells those funky glass pipes should likely have it. :puffy:

michiganlover

Can't Leave
May 10, 2014
beewickhemp
Bee Wick Hemp seems to have the best pricing I've found at 420ft for $17. 420 ft is likely over a years supply!
Locally 5ft is $3.
I did buy some locally just to play with, and seems to me this is the method least likely to char the rim of your pipe. Also made the deep relights a breeze, and is probably the only realistic way to smoke a MM MacArthur to the bottom!!

michiganlover

Can't Leave
May 10, 2014
What's in the "complete hemp light kit"??
Just curious because all you really need is the bees wax covered hemp twine, and a Bic Lighter: wrap 3 feet of the twine around the lighter and you're good to go for about a week.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Ebay and Amazon both have a crap ton of offerings. I just look for the most reasonable buy, but, there are quality variations. (thickness and uniformity of coating)

I like to use my re-fillable jet port butane lighter because it is quicker to light the wick than a bic, AND, of course, re-fillable.

Phil67 sent me a bic lighter and hemp 'caddy/cover' deal that can be seen at the previously mentioned sites and I take that with me when I'm needing to head to the store or like that.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I had a big spool of waxed hemp string that came in an army surplus tent lighting kit. It was the best stuff for tying up cuts of meat, chick and turkey for the grill. Never thought to light my pipe with it.

stvalentine

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2015
Northern Germany
You guys made me curious. Just ordered a small spool of hemp wick. As matches are a no-go and butane or gasoline lighters are a constant source of annoyance to me this might be a better idea. Well, we will see.... :puffy:

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
michiganlover, here's the "complete kit" I mentioned, first item on the product page: http://www.hemplights.com/products.htm

I hope I didn't screw up the URL thang. It's hemplights dot com if I did. This was the first and most popular thing that popped up on google. The previous brethern here had better ideas for price-point and the like. I tended to like the gimmicky end of the hemplights offering... thinking of quick, small, convenient for popping in the traveling pipe-bag, etc. I ordered it last week sometime and the shipping tracking link hasn't progressed at all. The site was glitchy the day ordered. (I'm saying the jury is out as far as me saying I'd recommend either the product or the business.) I'm spoiled by the superbly superior CS of SPC, P&C, and the like. I also can see the possibility of a feller getting a large bodacious ball or spool or coil of hemp-wick cheap and coming up with all manner of creative dispensers and the like... still am excited about trying the whole concept with bakkie pipes.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
Man some of y'all really love to complicate things don't ya :D I've lit my pipe with a match or a zippo for decades, see no reason to fix what ain't broken. I might consider smoking the hemp wick though ;)

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Please report on your wick smoking experience! Grassy flavor? Earthy? Cow dung "flavor"? :)
Though hemp, it likely has zero cannabis punch.

sthbkr77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 17, 2015
MD
Michiganlover mentioned above to wrap your bic with the twine and I wanted to second the idea. Works like a charm.
I don't always use the wick but do enjoy it as part of the ritual when I know I have some time and want to relish a favorite blend.

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
Hemplighters are great! I make my own. Any small bottle. Drill a hole in a cork. Wind the hemp wick around a small tapered paint brush and slide it into the bottle and thread it thru the cork.
The big one has a magnet glued to it.
95t1r6.jpg

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
Ok what am I not seeing here? You need a match or lighter to light the wick, which you then use to light the pipe. Why not just use the match or ligher to light the pipe and skip the middleman?

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I used to buy matches regularly. Not only that, my ash tray(s) were constantly mounding up with expended matches and needed to be dumped.

I find lighters to be something I'll use as a last resort.

A wick lights my pipe in the kindest and most gentle way possible and doesn't require disposal. Sure I have to light it. I use a lighter. It's a re-fill-able jet lighter that lights my wick in a half a second.

The wick can then be leisurely employed at whim. It can be extended as long as you want to keep it lit.

I haven't bought matches, gas or wick in months. Economical too!

Status
Not open for further replies.