PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
I used to buy matches regularly. Not only that, my ash tray(s) were constantly mounding up with expended matches and needed to be dumped.

I find lighters to be something I'll use as a last resort.

A wick lights my pipe in the kindest and most gentle way possible and doesn't require disposal. Sure I have to light it. I use a lighter. It's a re-fill-able jet lighter that lights my wick in a half a second.

The wick can then be leisurely employed at whim. It can be extended as long as you want to keep it lit.

I haven't bought matches, gas or wick in months. Economical too!
So you're saying you light the wick and leave it burning for the duration of the bowl, in case you need a relight? Otherwise, if you need to light the wick each time you need to light the pipe, I'm confused as to how it would save on matches or gas.

samon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 23, 2015
I've got a few reels of hemp wick.

I like it, burns soft and doesn't have too much of a taste, unlike a bad match or zippo lighter.
Other than obvious heat output benefit, almost no taste and the little negative of fuss involved and being careful not to touch the bowl with the wick! as it leaves beeswax on it and is a sod to wipe off. It'sa good thing to atleast try out.
Had the reels of wick for several months, but I've not used it much. It's nice and all that but good matches do have an upside. Besides, if the baccy you smoke lights easily, it's kind of annoying having to faff about with a while wick reel to light it only once lol.
Tip, I find bending the end of the wick to strenghten the lightability helps get it going without it dropping ashe in the bowl.

bonehed

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 27, 2014
Shutterbug - you extinguish the wick with a flick of the wrist or a pinch of the fingers once the bowl is burning. It gets relit each time your bowl needs to be.

It saves gas because instead of the 4-5 seconds of gas burning through your lighter as you light your bowl, the wick lights up in one second, if that.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
Shutterbug - you extinguish the wick with a flick of the wrist or a pinch of the fingers once the bowl is burning. It gets relit each time your bowl needs to be.

It saves gas because instead of the 4-5 seconds of gas burning through your lighter as you light your bowl, the wick lights up in one second, if that.
Does it resist wind outdoors better than a match? Because if not it seems like you'd need to relight the frickin wick a dozen times to get the pipe lit. Whereas 4-5 seconds of a Zippo and you can get down to the business of smoking. Of course I'm assuming that's your ultimate goal. I mean, I like foreplay as much as the next guy, but...ya know... ;)

bonehed

Nov 27, 2014
I'd say not because it'd be easier to cup your hand around a match vs a holder filled with wick. I don't take wick with me when outdoors, then I'll just use a lighter or matches as it's strictly a utilitarian effort. If I'm home in the easy chair and wanting to savor a blend under optimal conditions, I'll use the wick.

Just think of it as an endless match... it doesn't take more than a single match, maybe two, to light a bowl.
Here's a video: http://youtube.com/watch?v=fBgZy-jxY8E

maduromadness

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2014
California
Love hemp wick....compared to all the other options it has it drawbacks but by far the best for pipes IMO. Low burn temp and it can be put into the deepest chambered pipes without fear of rim scorching. It does have a slight taste to it but nice compared to bics, butane, or a match. A dyi despenser it nice to. Just a bic and the wick. In my mind worth the extra effort for superior relight taste.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Taste? Other than the first moment the sulfur burns off a match (and I wait till it dissipates) I experience nothing of the sort with wooden matches. Nor butane. And only slightly with Zippos.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Matches with some age on them have a better result. I find that those made before 1970 are the best. The virgin growth fir trees they used were of the finest burning qualities. However, it's the sulfur compound in the head of the match as well as the marriage between box/scratch board and that compound that really makes the difference as the flame securely adheres to the clear, dry, white wood surface and provides its steady, natural flame.

The sulfur burn off is particularly aromatic, too. /s.

If someone likes using wicks, then that's fine. But, the premise that using a lighter or match that burns at an initially higher temperature will make the tobacco burn hotter is not correct. Setting a pile of twigs on fire with a propane torch does not make the twigs burn hotter than if you started them with a match. The same goes for tobacco. Unless you are aiming a flame deep down into the bowl, it does not matter what the initial flame temperature is. I have to deal with different torches and create oxidizing flames in my work all the time. If I used a 1400F flame to start a fire in wood that burns at 600F, then once the reactions have been set to cause the wood to burn has stopped, the wood just continues to burn at 600F. If I start the fire with an 800F source, then it burns at 600F. The reaction doesn't change.
I think that the problem many have is just technique. No matter what the method, I hold the flame of match, Bic, zippo, hot coal in tongs, about an inch to half an inch above the bowl, and use my breath to draw the flame down into the bowl. Those lighters that aim the flame down into the bowl will char out a rim in no time. Plus, you are sucking the flame closer to your tongue. Just not a good idea. Drawing the flame down is good for the pipe, creates a more even burn in the tobacco, and you don't look like a total goof in traffic with burning string hovering about your pipe while driving. I can't think of an even goofier way to turn potential new pipe smokers off than demonstrating this technique. Ha ha.
But, to carry about a bit of twine, that I have to light, and then light my pipe with something that looks like a pyromaniac's cat toy... well, if you think the cigar guys laugh at how much junk we have to have to smoke now...
But, if it makes you happy, then enjoy. But, if you are doing this just because you were getting your tobacco too hot, then you might want to just put a tad bit of distance between the pipe and the lighter.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
What I have been saying, but much less eloquently. Regardless of the temp of the flame, having it the right distance from the tobacco will adjust the temp of the flame where it meets the tobacco so it doesn't torch either the tobacco or the rim.
I've found that the less heat I can apply and still get the job done works best for me. Relights take no more than a second of flame to tobacco. Longer is going to scorch something, usually the tobacco, but eventually the rim.

sjfine

Mar 4, 2012
It may be unrecognized, but it is no secret that I agree with Michael, Brad, and jpmcwjr on this point. I always lit my cigars with a soft flame butane lighter or a match, and did not let the flame touch the foot of the cigar. I applied this technique to pipe, even though it is somewhat more difficult on relights. (Like jpmcwjr, short bursts of flame help me to avoid scorching the tobacco.)
That said, the hemp wick seems like fun, but way too much work for what is easily handled by my Atoll Retro soft flame lighters.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
That Bee Wick Hemp is giving away free sample of 8 feet. You just pay $1 for shipping.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
"Any place that sells those funky glass pipes should likely have it."
Jkrug, I think the word your searching for is, wait for it, wait for it, "Head shop". :mrgreen:

skraps

Sep 9, 2015
Jesus, no wonder everyone carries a man purse. Some of you guys got more shit than a woman.
I'll stick to the Bic.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
"I do have one pipe that tended to burn hot... until I started lighting it with an ice cube."
I tried that Michael, but they kept melting in my man purse. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.