PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cachimbero

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 9, 2019
Cordoba, Spain
Me and my beard. Picture taken 5 minutes ago from the computer camera :)

foto-el-25-4-19-a-las-2250-150x100.jpg

prndl

Lifer
Apr 30, 2014
I last shaved in 1972, as well...long before the pipe came.
The wife, kids and grandkids have never seen me cleanshaven.

timelord

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
The Guardian also had a report about that study Guardian: Beards can be dirtier than dog fur ; it mentioned they only studied 18 men with beards and 30 dogs so I don't think it is a particularly comprehensive study or one that can be relied on.
To answer the original question; I started growing a beard when I was a student. It started off as a goatee but become a full beard in my mid-twenties. It is still a full beard as I approach my 59th birthday. Only really difference between then and now is that it has changed in colour from red, black, blond (think tabby cat!) to pretty much uniform grey (oddly my hair has not gone grey). So beard definitely came before pipe smoking.
Do I smoke a pipe because I have a beard? Nope. I smoke a pipe 'cos I like smoking a pipe. :puffpipe:
p.s. I did shave my beard and moustache off in 2010; my wife told me to grow it back immediately! :rofl:

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Full beard since 1993. Mostly like in my profile but I let it grow out from July until New Years Eve because I get paid to be Santa.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
they only studied 18 men with beards and 30 dogs
Holy crap...so 18 bearded men turned out to be dirtier than 30 dogs?
That's even worse than I thought.
:rofl:

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
I've had a beard since I lost my shaver when I was about 18. Every halloween, well lent actually, that's when we do halloween like stuff, I think about shaving it off, just to see how my family would react, but I never do.

jazz

Feb 17, 2014
UK
Anthony and I appear to have a similar thing going on. Mine is a full beard about 10 inches long with an imperial moustache. It's a pain in the arse in many ways and if I do it properly in the morning then people tend to comment that it looks "formidable". If I don't bother people think I look like a wooly mammoth's coughed up hairball or a deranged tramp. I have always had a beard in one way or another and so it was around before my pipes.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

Bearded here. It's funny though. My friend went out to smoke in the tent at a Chicago show once and remarked, 'I'll just come find you, you're a tall bearded bald guy, how hard can you be to find'? He found me about a half hour later and was panting. He said, 'I came back in and realized everyone here looks like you'.

Sep 18, 2015
Full beard here, about 8” or so. Keep a goatee since my early 20’s then let it go full a few years ago just to see if it would, I thought about shaving it a year or two back, said something about it to the wife and she said leave it alone,,,

derhammer

Sep 7, 2018
New Zealand
Not anymore. Now just mustache and short stub since I found that full on beard also invites dandruff. It's just too much maintenance for me :?

elasmo

Can't Leave
Mar 23, 2019
Just shaved my wintery beard for the Spring. It shall rise in the Fall. :mrgreen:

jazz

Feb 17, 2014
UK
I found that full on beard also invites dandruff. It's just too much maintenance for me
Mine started doing that until I started washing it with an anti-dandruff shampoo. These days, my entire head and face get washed in one go with the stuff.

maxx

Apr 10, 2015
Goateed since the mid 1980s I started pipe smoking in the 2010s.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
You will notice my profile picture. I have not been completely clean shaven since high school - 50 years. No intent to change - my children wouldn't recognize me. I don't intend to grow it any longer than it is now, either.

Like many, I started my beard as a goatee at 18. I am a brazen redhead and as a kid, when I would dream I always had a beard in my dreams. I shaved once after my first daughter was born, and didn't recognize myself in mirrors, so I have never done that again. I went the full beard about 7 or 8 years ago, as it all started to go white.

It has been longer, but I start to feel like a hippie when it gets too long, so I try to keep it trimmed somewhat. Here is the latest pic.

me-fassionshow.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.