PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Just remember, there used to be all types of hair oil and tonics on the market and sold through the old style men's barbershops and drugstores. Now I can't remember when the last time I saw a bottle of Vitalis and I haven't been in a real barbershop in decades.

fearsclave

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 9, 2014
I've recently been experimenting with Breakfree CLP: my wife prefers the smell to Hoppes No.9, which was my standby back in the day.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
I am a beard man myself, and prefer proraso beard oil. Price is ok, smells a whole lot better than what I have experimented with in the past. Argan oil is ok for nurturing the beard, so I've heard/read, but it's only available in large quantities around here. For me a 35 ml bottle is a two month supply, as I only oil it every other day.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
I have some great beard oil recipes that I cooked up years ago if anyone wants to give them a go. More woodsy than not but my friends will make them and once you have the essential oils you can make them for pennies and give then to you buddies as well. Let me know and I will post recipes.

snowyowl

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2015
Slightly similar to Peterson's older pipes, my beard is Pre-Republican... a time when oil spills were just wrong.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
I hear you snowy owl. But being pragmatic and having my wife say "would you consider beard oil"? As she handed me something that smelled like cat piss mixed with burnt sugar, I decided to make my own. She hasn't said anything since and we abide. My manly oil smells like cedar, juniper, and pine. The bugs flee-ith before me.

snowyowl

Oct 21, 2015
But being pragmatic... we abide
Well, dude-aquaoc, as long as she shaves and you don't... Whatever works.

===

While I would use citronella and/or creosote in my concoction, sounds like Dollar Beard Club is for you:

(I thought this must be ultra-ironic, but no)

https://youtu.be/_Su0neQKm1I

sw0snuff3r

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 3, 2014
I use Big Red Beard Balm on my van dyke as my beard is pretty wiry. It helps keep the strays in check and it smells great. The one I have now is called Noble which has a nice citrus scent.

snowyowl

Oct 21, 2015
Me, mapping migration routes of the Peregrine Falcon across Martha's Vineyard... it's dirty work but somebody had to do it.

Just earlier in the day, Jackie O, whose house is in the distant background... waved to me.

deepspringfarm

Might Stick Around
Dec 29, 2013
Grave Before Shave Beard Oil. But I was thinking about making my own. Wouldn't be too hard with some carrier oils and essential oils.

Maybe come up with a perique blend!

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
A perique oil would be interesting. You would have to buy the oil from a vape shop. I would mix it with some other oil to round it out because it's anise note could be overpowering.

snowyowl

Oct 21, 2015
A Latakia-based formula, if you want a woman who paid attention in school.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
aquadoc, I would be interested in that recipe, pm sent ...
davet it gets even crazier than you think. I know guys that visit a barber shop weekly for beard upkeep. While I am not the advocate of combing and scissoring my beard daily, a clean, oiled and well scented beard is part of who I am.

jalcott

Lurker
Apr 19, 2017
Proud owner of beard and beard oil. Yeah, but only the usage of beard oils doesn't have a long lasting effect. They need to be tamed and maintained properly. Beard oils are ideal for beard grooming, styling and conditioning. It reduces all the frizziness in your beard and nourishes facial hair, follicles and skin. They are excellent grooming products for healthier and fuller beards. If you ought to use beard oil from any brand, make sure you don't compromise in the ingredients that go into oil, as argan oil, Greek rosemary leaf oil, etc must be present that strengthens your beard hair and takes care of the dryness and itchiness. And yeah, do opt for 100% vegan products, where no harmful products go in the making process. I hope this works for you. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.