PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
Not ashamed at all to admit I use beard oil on a regular basis. I don't like a stiff beard at all, especially when it gets some length to it. Plus, some of them smell pretty damn good.

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
Well I gotta say, if after trying to grow a beard for 40 years and it didn't come in well enough to benefit from a little oil, I'd probably just shave it off. But that's just me. :wink:

Reactions: blues4goose

jasonmazzy

Might Stick Around
Jul 31, 2017
I make my own. It's easy. I use a bottle of organic jojoba and add 2-3% total volume of essential oils. I prefer cedar and juniper, pine and fir, and spruce patchouli. Any combination of those oils work together and smell great. I always try snd have a bit of patchouli in the base because it adds the dark and warm undertone.

Mar 1, 2014
I never even heard of beard oil until it seemed to appear simultaneously along with the invention of the hipster.
Chances are you have heard of it but never made the connection. People in ancient societies commonly covered their head in oil as a part of daily hygiene, and really there is only a small separation between “Beard Oil” and the “Hair Conditioner” you’d buy at the supermarket.

exbenedict

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 6, 2018
Everyone is different. I had never used it until a few years ago when the skin underneath started to get dry and flaky. I've had a beard for over 25 years and it just recently started. USe a bit after every shower and it helps. DO what you want with whatever you've got.

Reactions: instymp

pipebaum81

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 23, 2014
Perhaps slightly off topic but has there been "Show Off Your Beard" thread before? I Imagine that we would have some pretty epic submissions.
j/B

Reactions: BROBS

TaneRZ

Lurker
Nov 15, 2019
York, England
Surprisingly, but I know about beard oil from thanks to my girlfriend.
She made me read a few first posts from the Monica's blog that she follows caus they were beard related. I'm not a really hairy type, but she's trying to influence my old man who's beard always been a disaster. And the thing about oils is that they look pretty simple and efficient. Maybe when I'll try any of that was mentioned I will be able to tell more but now it's just a chewing gum for brains.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
Yeah oil is simple but it also doesn't do that much. If your dad's beard is as cuckoo crazy as you're making it sound it's probably not going to be tamed by beard oil. He'll need beard butter or beard balm, both of which are considerably thicker and heavier.

Reactions: dcon

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
Yeah oil is simple but it also doesn't do that much. If your dad's beard is as cuckoo crazy as you're making it sound it's probably not going to be tamed by beard oil. He'll need beard butter or beard balm, both of which are considerably thicker and heavier.

He should probably invest in some beard mousse too for those days on the catwalk.

• Haha
Reactions: BROBS and logs

CamCampbell

Lurker
Sep 29, 2019
So, I am growing my beard out and am curious. What is beard oil and what is it supposed to do?
You can easily find: what is beard oil supposed to do?
Remember, don't believe in flamboyant features, it's not as magical as some vendors say. But it is undeniable that it has the effect of softening the beard, alleviating itching of the beard, keeping the skin smooth, and promoting the growth of the beard to a certain extent.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
I see it like this, having had a beard for 20 years: the type of man who used to grow a beard wouldn't spend more than 2 minutes in their entire life thinking about cosmetics once they found a pleasing soap, shampoo, and cologne. When beards became fashionable, a specific type of bearded man became an untapped market, so naturally the market adapted and thus all these products appeared.

I wash my beard with regular hair products, and rub a drop of conditioner once a week or so, have had a soft beard and fine skin for 20 years.

I did try organic jojoba once, 10 years ago, I didn't like the smell or the greasiness, and it stained a shirt so I ditched it. Beard/skin didn't feel any different either ;)

Reactions: seldom
Aug 1, 2012
Oh noes! A Zombie!!! At least it's a useful one.

I shampoo my beard daily and use beard oil a couple times a week. It just adds to the fullness of the beard and makes it easier to tame. Too much and it just starts looking nasty-greasy. It's not something I am too worried about and when life gets crazy it goes out the window until I have time to re-establish it in my routine.

Personally, I say don't go for an expensive one, just a standard off-the-shelf one works great for normal beards. They're available in major stores like Kroger (US) or shops like Boots (UK). I have seen some guys here who oil their beards until they glisten. I just don't think I could put up with that. It's like the guys who use tons of Bryll cream or the like. It works for them, not for me.

Reactions: BROBS
Status
Not open for further replies.