PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

briarblues

Can't Leave
Aug 3, 2017
Good Day All;
I just received an order from my friends at Smoking Pipes. I ordered 6 x 50 gram tins. Total 300 grams. Cost $76.94 US. I had it delivered to my US address and hand cleared it through CDN customs at the border. Here is how it broke down.
$76.94 US = $96.31 CDN
$40.43 CDN = duty

$6.84 CDN = GST / HST ( this is the CDN = of VAT )

$74.10 CDN = BC Provincial Tobacco Tax
Total duty and taxes = $121.37 CDN
So grand total for 6 tins ( 300 grams ) = $217.68 CDN, or $36.38 per 50 gram tin. In any local cigar / tobacco shop the current retail selling price on a 50 gram tin is $52.00 CDN. A savings of $15.62 CDN per tin.
This was hand cleared when crossing the border in a car. Similar quantities shipped via the post would be different as Canada Post ( and Storage ) adds collection fees etc. Also the above is for BC. Other provinces levy different rates for provincial tobacco tax.
Regards

Michael J. Glukler

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Surprised that you had to pay duties for all of it. 200 grams should be duty free. Unless you were outside the country for less than 48 hours, that is.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Whew. Takes some of the enjoyment. That would get me down to a weekly bowl fairly soon. It's an irresistible revenue stream for government.

alan73

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 26, 2017
Wisconsin
Good lord, that is highway robbery. I've heard Australia and New Zealand are that bad too. Not sure about the UK. No idea about rest of world. My condolences to your pocket book.
I'd be looking to quit, or alternatives on shipping/customs, if I had to pay that much. I quit cigs after 25 years and started piping because the prices got too rich for my blood.
If that is what's coming to America one day, cellaring hard and deep is the only smart thing to do, assuming you can afford it, no cellaring tobacco with credit card debt.

briarblues

Can't Leave
Aug 3, 2017
olkofri, it was a single day crossing. From BC to Lynden, WA and right back. Total, under an hour. 200 grams kicks in after 48 hours.
alan73, who knows how soon these prices may end up in all the US. I understand WA and CA are quite high.
Even though I sell pipes, I have suggested to a number of clients that buying tobacco may be a wiser way to spend any extra cash, as opposed to a pipe. After 3 ... or I mean 30 pipes ..... none of us need another pipe, but without a goodly supply of your favorite blends .... your pipes may become useless.
Regards

Michael J. Glukler

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Duties are sketchily ASSessed too: I've never paid the same amount on the shipments that have come from SPC, even for the same amounts of tobacco. First time I ordered it was ~$35 for 150 grams (two tins: 100-g MacBaren Navy Flake and 50-g SG Navy Flake). Second shipment I had to send back because they wanted ~$120 for 150 grams (three 50-g tins), even though the price in CAD dollars was only like $7 more than the previous shipment. Third time I had to pay like ~$25 for two 50-g tins.
I dunno if they assess the duties based on item cost or tobacco amount. It's a hit or miss. I've another two tins coming now from SPC, which has been sitting in customs for a week (aparently it was just processed): we'll see how much they want to steal this time.

ben88

Lifer
Jun 5, 2015
Quebec
Here in Montreal, 50g tin costs between $35 and $43 tax included. CB and Dunhill priced equally))))

As far as getting nailed by CBSA, you stand better chance if you purchase your tobacco privately.

briarblues

Can't Leave
Aug 3, 2017
olkofri;
the amounts charged relate to declared ( invoiced ) value, x weight. I was told that the rates in BC just changed on Jan 1. I doubt there was a reduction.
Michael J. Glukler

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Seems like Canada has even somewhat higher costs for tobacco than we here in Finland, but similarly our customs authorities at border crossing points between Russia/ Finland line are quite interested in finding extra' tobacco products and yes you must spend minimum 24h abroad to have right to bring along 200gr unless you are not travelling in the Eu region where this time rule does not stand.

theloniousmonkfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2017
That's asinine. Feel for you, man. BC is great, I love Vancouver, but damn.
Even though I sell pipes, I have suggested to a number of clients that buying tobacco may be a wiser way to spend any extra cash, as opposed to a pipe. After 3 ... or I mean 30 pipes ..... none of us need another pipe, but without a goodly supply of your favorite blends .... your pipes may become useless.
Sound advice. Been working on getting down to a more manageable rotation and stocking up when deals/finances/stars align. If I were more rational/logical a handful of cobs and carport full of Prince Albert/Carter Hall would suffice.

echambers

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 21, 2017
I feel for you brother. I'm just south of your border in Washington State. Well more than half the shoppers at our Trader Joes and Costco are from BC, trying to avoid the high cost of dairy and other things. Not to mention the only BnM left in my hometown marks all of their tins up to ridiculous levels because it's still cheaper than Canada.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Only a matter of time until it's just as bad here in the USA...and the current blissful state of the internet sales are a thing of the past.
Somehow tax seems like a more honest term for it than duty.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22BV0BpCMn4

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Wow-couldn't afford those prices. alan73, as to cellaring, am increasingly concerned that you're quite right. But you're also right about not financing that with credit. Unfortunately, I've always been a buy-what-I-smoke-at -the-moment kinda guy because I cannot afford to buy more than that at a time. Would only be able to cellar with credit. So, am left to enjoy what's here now and hope for the best in the future.

wasnsfisher

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 28, 2017
Got nailed on my last shipment fron noggins. First time ever.I didnt think the duty price was fair but I paid it. Called the border ppl and they told me it is 5 times the package value. From the Horse' mouth.

unkleyoda

Lifer
Aug 22, 2016
Your mom\\\'s house
Jesus, no wonder people smuggle stuff across borders.
Only a matter of time until it's just as bad here in the USA...and the current blissful state of the internet sales are a thing of the past.
This is why I have been stocking up over the last 18 months, since I started this 'hobby'.

My wife wonders why I need pounds and pounds of tobaccos. She's fine with it, but she wonders why.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Thanks for the post, interesting you had it delivered to the states and then declared it at the border.
We had a stroller delivered to buffalo and we took it back unpackaged. We saved about $500 in exchange and taxes. We certainly didn't declare anything. I've had luck having packages of tins sent directly to my house that have flew under the radar for customs. I guess I'm just lucky.

Status
Not open for further replies.