PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rayje589

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2012
So due to my states new laws it's become crazy hard to get anything more powerful than a BB gun/air gun/airsoft gun without a permit... So at the ripe old age of 26 I bought myself a Daisy Red Rider BB gun at work (also my first step into the gun world). I took advantage of todays 'warm' weather to finally plink some cans in the back yard.

saint007

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 22, 2013
It won't be long until you will want a little more. Checkout the Gamo .17 air rifle. It comes with a scope and silencer. Shoots an 8 grain lead pellet 1100 FPS. Great for backyard urban hunting.

lawmax3

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2013
Both my sons were in the yard about 2 hours ago target shooting with an AR15 look-alike BB/pellet rifle.

The thing looks and feels like the real thing. It even has a collapsible stock.

Some idiot will probably try to ban those before too long.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
All my boys had the Red Rider. And one's waiting for the littlest guy. Fun little gun, and a good introduction to gun handling and safety. Not much on accuracy though. As 007 said, there are some impressive air rifles out there. But my advice would be to skip that altogether and make a .22 your next step. What state do you live in where you need a permit for a brown rifle?

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
There has always been a Daisy Red Ryder in my gun collection! It's what I started out with when I was a kid, and they're still fun now! I've worn out a 1/2 dozen of them or more, and probably shot more than a million BBs!

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
a bb/pellet gun you can shoot anywhere.. we use to hang targets in the fireplace in front of a cardboard box. not sure about kids with a ar look alike bb gun sounds like trouble waiting to happen if the wrong person sees them.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
I have bed eyeing one of the Gamo rifles that shoot pellets at 1200 fps. I have some ground Squirrels that are reeking havoc in my yard and my Winchester 308 seems a bit over powered?

saint007

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 22, 2013
Yea, I think a 308 would be a bit overkill :wink:
I annually harvest around 100 squirrels a year with a scoped .22. More fun than playing Sniper on Xbox. I wish I had a grandson I could give my .22 to. That way I could go out and buy a .17 rimfire which is much hotter and flatter shooting than a .22. Though I've had my bolt action Sportbuchse .22 since I was a kid.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
I haven't owned one since I was a kid.I live in the city so I don't have a place to shoot one.There is an indoor range in town but only for hand guns.

onepyrotec

Lifer
Feb 20, 2013
Nevada
Some cities have banned them altogether. In San Jose CA, you can't even use a slingshot in your own back yard.
I have this little .22 for plinking fun.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNt3EtE2ntQ

rayje589

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2012
Both my sons were in the yard about 2 hours ago target shooting with an AR15 look-alike BB/pellet rifle.
If it's a Umarex I think I know what you're talking about. There is one at work that I'm 100% sure would get me shot if I took it anywhere.
What state do you live in where you need a permit for a brown rifle?
Ever heard of Sandy Hook? Yeah. You even need a permit to buy freaking ammo.

necron99

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 4, 2014
More gun hysteria from the same nut who gave us tobacco hysteria and climate hysteria. Ya have to vote for them again to see what's next.

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
I learned to shoot with a BB gun. Your time practicing/playing with one is not wasted at all. The gun hysteria is nuts. When I was a kid I used to ride around, in a city, with my BB gun. Now a kit would be shot by the police if he did that. We've gone off the rails...

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
Learning firearm safety, trigger control, and marksmanship is not caliber dependent.
Starting with an air gun, a BB gun if you will, is a cost effective way to start. Most local laws allow you to shoot them on your property. You can also shoot them in your house (basement or garage).
You can always move up in caliber dependent on what you enjoy.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I had a BB gun in my hands at around 8 years of age. We had a blast with them. Culminated in a Crossman pump rifle that shot .17 caliber pellets. I don't think I've ever seen a kid in my neighborhood with one in his hands. We carried ours everywhere, strapped to our bikes. I guess a kid would be arrested these days for just carrying one.

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
Even if you live in an apartment, a cardboard box filled with newspaper! & you get the BB's back.

Status
Not open for further replies.