zion

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 5, 2019
Reactions: SpookedPiper

crawdad

Lifer
Jul 19, 2019
Virginia
When I run out of Sobranie, Milan’s Balkan Blend English is a fine sit-in.

Are you talking about the store in Roanoke?

dunnyboy

Lifer
Jul 6, 2018
New York
I'm not a Balkan expert but, comparing two very good GLP Latakia blends, you can certainly taste the difference between Westminster, considered an English, and Abingdon, considered a Balkan.

Last edited:
Reactions: jpmcwjr

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Balkan Sobranie (old) -- okay, not available, so does not qualify. Ok. Straight lat then. Huh? Oh, okay, the DNQ also. Dang, you guys are picky! :)

Bill

crawdad

Lifer
Jul 19, 2019
Virginia
So I bought a couple tins of H&H Whiteknight and had my first three bowls. Mind you, I’ve never had the pleasure of knowing any of the old Sobranie blends. My only exposure to lat blends has been Westminster, Father Dempsey’s, and Fusiliers Ration. This is a medium bodied blend and the orientals were definitely in front. I found the latakia tame and the sweetness was more subtle than my Westminster. The only issue I had was despite the dryness right out of the tin I had quite a few relights, an observation mentioned more than a few times in various reviews. It is said it’s because of the oils inherent with Orientals.

Once I finish this tin, I’ll have something of a baseline to compare with other balkans as I’ll be ordering Balkan Supreme and Balkan Sasieni with my next paycheck.

Jun 23, 2019
Is Bill Baileys Balkan Blend still available?

+1 on Bill Bailey's Balkan Blend - I think you can still find them around and about. I picked up a 250g from my local B&M recently.

Personally also a big big fan of Samuel Gawith Balkan Flake. All day smoker for me and my preferred blend in the colder months.

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast
I do enjoy the Skiff mixture very much and Balkan sobranie as a close second. I recently ordered several tins of exotique and will see where the chips fall.

Status
Not open for further replies.