PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kane

Can't Leave
Dec 2, 2014
Hi folks, when I first started I thought the term "English" just meant a non-aromatic tobacco, but I see that there are many besides just English. Would someone be so kind as to tell me the distinction between English, Scottish, and Balkan blends? Also, what in a blend contributes the most nicotine?
Thank you! Learning a lot here.

Cliff

dann

Lurker
Dec 10, 2014
Hey guys I have a question if you don't mind. I'm knew to smoking a pipe and trying blends from the local smoke shop, Currently Briar & Beans smoke shop in Oklahoma. I have been getting tobacco that is their brand and am having trouble finding any that I like. They smell great but once lit the good smell is gone which is fine but the taste if any is gone or tastes like ash or also disappears. is their a way to tell if its a good tobacco other than smell or moisture content. Should I wait and order something online?. Sorry if this is posted in the wrong place,

brokenkrayon

Might Stick Around
Jul 17, 2014
Technique has a lot to do with flavor. Smoking most blends too hot will destroy any flavor that may have been there. A new briar pipe that has not been broken in will also distort the flavor.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Dann: My guess is that you have not enough experience either with the pipe or the blends as yet. It takes time to develop your palate and have to try different blends. You'll very quickly know what you like or dislike a blend. The why of that will take a bit of time. Is it a particular leaf? A casing? Did you pack incorrectly?
Take some time and try different blends. Ask the vendor about the blends. Tell him why you prefer a blend. He/she should have enough experience to assist you as you learn to discern.

freakiefrog

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 26, 2012
Mississippi
I will say this. When I first started smoking English I was unsure what all the rave was about. Now it takes me at least three bowls to really figure out everything I'm tasting in an English, with Aromatics it's pretty easy.

kane

Can't Leave
Dec 2, 2014
I'll agree with that. For the past couple of weeks I've been working through a tin of Dunhill EMP and one of Standard Mixture, and each bowl tastes better and I think I'm tasting more of what's there, what ever it is. Trying not to jump around too much, and focus on a couple to try to understand more. Right now I'm working on less puffin' and more sippin', trying to smoke slower while still keeping it from going out. I think that is helping me taste the tobacco. Dann, I say grab a tin a of something tried and true and compare your shops' stuff to that, at least to get a reference point.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I just finished a small bowl of Nightcap. I smoke about 50/50 Va/bur and Lat blends. I've got several of each and a couple of bulk staples. I love that smokey latakia flavor.

dann

Lurker
Dec 10, 2014
Hello guys. Thanks for the response. I'm smoking a light cherry blend its ribbon cut and color looks like a pecan shell in colors. I received a nice brand knew briar BC pipe. I have some Dunhill standard mixture coming tomorrow. After countless reading forums I hope I found my problems. 1. I watched UTUBE lol, I seen the smoke coming from all the pipes and thought I had to have smoke to sip a pipe. 2.I think my fingers were stronger than the packing technique. 3 i'm enjoying a bowl right now it is better than the past week

boilermakerandy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2014
If you smoke hard enough to get a lot of smoke coming from the bowl you are going way too hard and will fry your tongue and aromatics will magnify that. Standard Mixture is an excellent blend and if you smoke it slow and sip the smoke you will discover a range of flavors unlike aromatics which to me burn hot and moist with a pretty one-dimensional flavor, they do make the room smell nice though.

Status
Not open for further replies.