PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hippyer

Lurker
Oct 29, 2019
Hello gentlemen. Could anybody tell me any more about this pipe? I believed that the year of manufacture was 1831 as per the stamp, however I have been alerted that this probably relates to its shape and where it was sold. Any information greatly appreciated.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
1831 is the shape number. It (the "1") designates it was made for the British Market. I can't see but it might have a shop's name on in. I assume it can be dated to a shorter time but I believe the 1930s to the early 1960s is the date range. It looks like a very nice pipe!
Mike S.

Reactions: dmcmtk

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
As condor said, Sable is the resident Barling expert and I'm sure he'll have a better idea than me, but I can say that I'm pretty sure vulcanite was not commonly used (if used at all) in pipe stems in the earlier part of the 1800's, and that appears to be a vulcanite stem, so I anticipate the pipe would be much more recent than the 1830's. It could still be a very old piece however.

hippyer

Lurker
Oct 29, 2019
Thank you for the replies chaps. The fading marks as best as I can make out read, "Barlings make 1831", and the other "Benton **luter".

I shall hope the other forum member(s) who have been mentioned will see this thread and have something further to add. It would be great to have more precise information.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
So in 1831, only a few brave souls in France were experimenting with briar for pipes, and vulcanite did not yet exist. Briar didn't go into widespread use until the 1850's
1831 is the model number, which, as was stated above, indicates the pipe was intended to be sold in the British market. There appears t be a tobacconist's name stamped into the shank, though it's hard to make out. Based on the general shape of the Barling's Make logo stamp I'd guess late '30's thru '40's for the period of manufacture. EL is Extra Large, which makes it a mid sized chamber.
Please post some pix after you've cleaned and polished it up.

Reactions: scloyd and dmcmtk

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
If you can make out the name and town of the tobacconist it could help narrow the date of manufacture

Reactions: dmcmtk

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
sable', thank you as always for the fine history lesson. I'd never focused on the date, but I certain thought briar was instated as a pipe material earlier. I learn something every day, and this is a choice item for today.

hippyer

Lurker
Oct 29, 2019
So in 1831, only a few brave souls in France were experimenting with briar for pipes, and vulcanite did not yet exist. Briar didn't go into widespread use until the 1850's
1831 is the model number, which, as was stated above, indicates the pipe was intended to be sold in the British market. There appears t be a tobacconist's name stamped into the shank, though it's hard to make out. Based on the general shape of the Barling's Make logo stamp I'd guess late '30's thru '40's for the period of manufacture. EL is Extra Large, which makes it a mid sized chamber.
Please post some pix after you've cleaned and polished it up.
Thank you for that. It is strange the 'extra large' would make it mid sized. Was it extra large during the time it was produced, but considered mid sized by todays standards?

It was not my intention to polish it. It is currently listed for sale on ebay in a good used condition. My original valuation is perhaps too high at £65 ($82), due to my mistake of considering it's manufacture date being 19th century. What would you consider it's value to be?

Reactions: sablebrush52

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
At a minimum I'd scrub off the lava from the rim, scrub the stem, and coat the whole thing lightly with mineral oil, buff. Then shoot it again, on a non-white background for better exposure.

Unfortunately, someone buffed the hell out of the shank with the stem off, rounding the corners.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Thank you for that. It is strange the 'extra large' would make it mid sized. Was it extra large during the time it was produced, but considered mid sized by todays standards?

It was not my intention to polish it. It is currently listed for sale on ebay in a good used condition. My original valuation is perhaps too high at £65 ($82), due to my mistake of considering it's manufacture date being 19th century. What would you consider it's value to be?
Decades ago, most pipes tended to be on the smaller side, in part because tobacco was a relatively expensive luxury, more so than today. Until the late 1930's Barling made pipes in three sizes, small, medium, and large. Then they expanded the range of sizes to include Extra Extra large and Extra Extra Extra large. So there were two sizes larger than Extra Large.
As to value, it's really hared to say. You will not make the same kind of money that you would were the pipe cleaned up. Prices on Britwood have fallen in the past few years. Also, results depend on the quality of your presentation. Your evaluation might be right on target. A few years ago it would have been way low.

Status
Not open for further replies.