PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBooch

Lurker
Sep 16, 2019
This was a thrift store purchase about 10 years ago. I knew nothing about Barling then and know little now. Upon research, I haven't been able to find out much about this pipe. It's a sand blasted, bent, with a brass ring, the cross logo on the stem and England stamped on the underside of the stem. No numbers. I've no doubt the pipe is old and we'll worn, and it is probably the best smoke of my collection. Is this genuine, or maybe an older facsimile? I appreciate any and all input. 22952296229722982299

Reactions: oldguyoldpipes

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
3aop2n.jpg

TheBooch

Lurker
Sep 16, 2019
Thank you, everyone. I'm a little disappointed after the research I did. I was hoping for something a little more rare. I paid $15 for it and I have used it as a daily smoker many times. Well worth the money in my opinion.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and dmcmtk

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
Your meerschaum pipe is from the same period, 1980's or later. IIRC, Laxley was making meerschaum pipes for Barling up through the early 2000's. It looks like a model 5919 in what was called the Golden Emperor finish.
Jesse just to correct you .it is laxey without the l .named after the village where the factory was in IOM

Reactions: jpmcwjr

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Thank you, everyone. I'm a little disappointed after the research I did. I was hoping for something a little more rare. I paid $15 for it and I have used it as a daily smoker many times. Well worth the money in my opinion.
You did very well. Used, these pipes go for around $50-60, and occasionally more.
Jesse just to correct you .it is laxey without the l .named after the village where the factory was in IOM
Thanks for that. I've had it stuck in my head that way, and yes it's Laxey, though Laxley falls more trippingly off the tongue. Sure they wouldn't rename the village?

Reactions: Seeker81 and paulfg

oldguyoldpipes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 20, 2019
Nice bent. I have a bent bulldog that initially I was a bit disappointed in by the date - history, but I have smoked it several times now and it is a sweety. Easy to hold and a cool smoke. It has become one of my favorie meerscahums. Also, Thanks to sablebrush 52 for helping my ID it.

Reactions: jpmcwjr
Status
Not open for further replies.