PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Whiteknight has a sweetness I don't care for. Before mostly giving up English blends though, I smoked many pounds of Balkan Supreme.

foursidedtriangle

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 22, 2018
Whiteknight is not similar to Balkan supreme. Whiteknight has that slightly soapy flavour and is mild. It is too mild for me. Balkan supreme has a more fuller taste with more latakia.

foursidedtriangle

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 22, 2018
Right soapy is me describing the mild soda note. It is love it or hate it taste, a lot of people do love it but not me.

blackadderlxx

Can't Leave
Jun 17, 2018
I've been smoking some White Knight lately and am smoking Balkan Supreme for the first time as I type this. I like both but will say that BS has a more full flavor and WK has a soda note that BS does not. I'm not sure if either is going to be a full time thing for me.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Whatever is causing that sweeteness, it doesn't seem to belong to that genre. A sort of saccharin aftertaste.

White Knight is Russ's homage to the original Balkan Sobranie, and by the testimony of our established forum tasters, it surpasses the smooth yet fragrant flavors of the original. You guys just may not be used to the heavy dose of Yenidje in this one, which may be giving it that "soda" like flavor. I just read it as an essential part of the incense-like aroma. It is one of my favorite latakias.
I haven't smoked as much Balkan Supreme, but when I did, I think that the Virginias used in it didn't appeal to me at all. There is definitely a different play between the Virginias and latakia that I wasn't crazy about, which many English blends have. So, I kind of tasted it as just another hum drum English, IMO; whereas White Knight was more unique. And, even though there is way more latakia in White Knight, I didn't get a stereotypical latakia (LatBomb) effect, as Supreme had.
Either way, both are widely acclaimed by it's fans. But, if you like Balkan Supreme, and you want just another lat blend "like" Balkan Supreme then White Knight may disappoint. However, if you are interested in tasting something more close to the original Balkan Sobranie which led to the whole genre of "Balkans" giving it its name, the White Knight may interest you. YMMV

Status
Not open for further replies.