PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 28, 2015
I was trolling through tobacco websites this week hoping to find Penzance or Stonehaven (I know that is not likely but I have never been lucky enough to have either so I just keep trying). While searching I stumbled upon some available Balkan Sobranie so I jumped on it since I never see it available either. Can anyone tell me what to expect with this one? I know in a few days I will find out for myself but just wondered about the opinions of some of you guys.

Dec 28, 2015
That's kind of what I thought I had heard but I still felt like I needed to get a tin to try since I have not had it before. I will definitely try the WhiteKnight though. Thanks for the tip.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I smoked a lot of the original blend in the 1970's but have not had the new release. The reviews are mostly favorable and that's a good thing. To me, Balkans are not as latakia heavy as traditional English blends. The Orientals and Turkish are supposed to be the stars.

As with any re-release, I prefer to judge the blend on it's own merits and not compare to what was 30 or 40 yers ago. I just doesn't matter because that was then and this is the now.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
I think it's a great Balkan! I have some stashed away to see what age does with it, but as cosmic says, there are a lot of different options in this genre that are good. That said, Cosmic doesn't know what he's talking about. He's a ditz. You'll be happy with your purchase. It's not easy to come by which means obviously many hold it high regard.

jacks6

Lifer
May 9, 2016
I really enjoy it as long as I'm paying a normal price for it. For a while, it was out of stock as much as penzance but i'm seeing it crop up more and more nowadays (think I saw it two places this morning looking through my usual sites). I would agree with Cosmic in that WhiteKnight is a bit more complex but it's certainly a great smoke.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
It's delicious with three or four years on it, but fresh, it's pretty run of the mill. I got absolutely nothing from White Knight, but hopefully you do.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I don't know if this incarnation is that highly regarded, I think it's more the fact J.F.Germain is in charge of making it. If Macbaren had acquired it there would be no issues regarding stock. I think it's more an issue of hype and enough people haven't gotten their hands on it yet to make their own judgement. Pretty much most of the reviews I've read have been dissapointment, probably at the fact of how hard they chased it down, or overpaid only to discover there's several readily available balkans they could have easily gotten instead.

Dec 28, 2015
Yeah I could see that I suppose. Luckily I just fell into finding a tin at Milan Tobacconist for $15 plus shipping. Plus I really like most of the Balkan blends I have tried so far. Since my expectations are not over the moon hopefully I won't be disappointed.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

I think it's great stuff, and I like it better than blends like White Knight. Don't let people fool you. It's a great blend that smells like BBQ, has a full flavor that's softened and spiced up a bit by some quality Oriental leaf tobaccos, has an effervescent ambergris thing going on that I've read many say isn't there any longer, but it is; and it comes in a great shag cut. Additionally, it has a great aroma. I really enjoy the latest incarnation, but did have a couple tins from around 2012 that had a weird greenish hue to the label. I didn't like that run. The stuff I've been finding lately has been exceptional, making it one of my favorite blends. It's the kind of blend that when it's on it's freaking magical, and when it's off it's off. You should open the tin and smoke it because it's really good and I don't know that aging it will really add anything to a blend like this?

Dec 28, 2015
That's good to hear mothernature. I think I will smoke it right away. Plus I really like Sassieni and Presbyterian which I hear allot of people criticize. I really like subtle Balkan blends and don't have to be hit in the face with complex flavor profiles. I am really looking forward to trying this one.

Dec 28, 2015
On the way home from my daughters college graduation and I was contemplating what to smoke.....when there in my mailbox was my tin of Sobranie. Problem solved!

Dec 28, 2015
Based on this first bowl you can count me in the group that likes the new Sobranie. Is it the best tobacco ever? No. Is it good enough to grab a tin whenever I see it available at list price? Definitely.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
Dollar for dollar, it is hard to beat the BSOSM Match bulk. I ordered a few pounds and will be getting more.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Personally, I like White Knight or Balkan Saseini better than the new rendition of Balkan Sobranie. It's not bad - just not enough to my taste for me to smoke it. Buried in my posts somewhere is a little essay (I hate to call it a review, but I guess it could be) on the three of them.

Black House, an homage to the old Sobranie 759 (as opposed to Sobranie Original), is more of a fairly full English than a Balkan, to my taste - although there is no real definition of either one. I like McClelland's Balkan Blue (formerly Blue Mountain) better than BH - but it's all subjective, anyway. :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.