PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssavarimuthu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 14, 2016
I absolutely love this stuff. So decadent and rich. Acquired a tin from a B&M an hour away from me.
In the event that I am unable to get any more (since my attempt at saving it is going terrible), is there any blends that are an equivalent of it?
Thanks! :puffpipe:

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
H&H White Knight. It's very close to the Sobranie Original of 45 years ago,and,IMO, a much better blend.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I agree with Jud. WhiteKnight is a much better version of the old Balkan Sobranie. The new BS is not near as good as the older version, which I smoked a lot of for many years.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Balkan Sasieni, Balkan Blue, Balkan Supreme. Really didn't like White Knight, but also really enjoy Balkan Sobranie. Keep your eyes on Iwan Ries. They get it in quite often.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Balkan Sasieni, Balkan Blue, Balkan Supreme. Really didn't like White Knight, but also really enjoy Balkan Sobranie. Keep your eyes on Iwan Ries. They get it in quite often.

slow_clap_citizen_kane.gif

Response delivers.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Try Smokers Haven Exotique. It's made by the same folks that make BS, too. I personally think Exotique is a much better blend but I can absolutely guarantee that you'll at least like it.
Balkan Sobranie = Our Best Blend

Balkan Sobranie 759 = Exotique

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
BSOSM Match aka Balkan Sobraine Original Smoking Mixture Match.

I really like it. Comes in bulk and is close to the original. Get it from Pipes and Cigars ans save some $$$.
JimInks Reviewed By Date Rating Strength Flavoring Taste Room Note

JimInks (1433) 2015-01-21

★★★★

Medium None Detected Medium Tolerable

This Match is based on the 1970s version, and not the later or current Sobranie productions. This is very similar to the ’70s Sobranie. The main differences are the Orientals are a shade spicier, there's a little less latakia, and a little more creamy sweetness in the Match. It’s also missing the mild unflavored “soda” note from the Yenidje that the original had, though the Macedonia plays the very same background notes. The original was a slightly drier smoke. The yellow Virginia is lightly grassy with a natural sweetness in both and the red Virginia is lightly tangy. The Cyprian latakia has the usual smokey sweet woodsy flavor, and is balanced nicely by the other components. Both were/are an all day smoke for my personal taste. Like the original, it burns perfectly well with few relights, a consistent flavor, and no dottle.
I rated the original at four stars in every version except for the latest production, which got two stars.
9 people found this review helpful.
Pipestud Reviewed By Date Rating Strength Flavoring Taste Room Note

Pipestud (1431) 2015-03-16

★★★★

Mild to Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

The blend used for Russ and several other blenders to try to approximate the Original Balkan Sobranie was a tin of the pre-Gallaher era (historians argue between 1976 and 1980) Original. And because it was the Original and not the 759, that is why the Latakia does not overwhelm the Oriental components and those really shine with Balkan Sobranie Match. It is particularly remarkable to me how Russ found such quality Yenidje for this one. The flavor really did come through and reminded me of the Gallaher's era BS Original which also seemed to have more Yenidje present than did the original House of Sobranie. Some o the experts tell me that the House of Sobranie tins have had their Oriental and Latakia components mellow out considerably after such long stints in the tin, and that is why the flavor of the two components are not as noticeable as when first tinned.
A superior smoking experience, for sure. And be sure to get some Mason Jars and sock some away for future years when the aging will really make the blend curl your toes!

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

I guess I'm in the minority when I say that I really like the most recent Balkan Sobranie and that I haven't smoked anything that compares to it. I have tried the above mentioned blends, like them, but don't find them to be comparable. You may find that Exotique is similar, especially in that it's a shag cut, but it doesn't pack the same flavor punch in my opinion.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Jackswilling: seeing my review of the Match version that you posted makes me realize I could have done a better job, so I did some rewriting of it.
Balkan Sobranie Match:

This Match is based on the 1970s version, and not any later or current Sobranie productions. This is very similar to the ’70s Sobranie. The main differences are the Orientals are a shade spicier, there's a little less latakia, and a little more creamy sweetness in the Match. It’s also missing the mild unflavored “soda” note from the Yenidje that the original had, though the Macedonia plays the very same background notes. The original was a slightly drier smoke. The yellow Virginia is lightly grassy with a natural sweetness in both and the red Virginia is lightly tangy fruit. The Cyprian latakia has the usual smokey sweet woodsy flavor, and is balanced nicely by the other components. While it appears that there are numerous differences between the original and the Match, they are minor and more of an indicator of nuance variations rather than big discrepancies. I was actively looking for contrast and comparison, so the description of divergences makes them seem greater than they are. The nic-hit is a shade past mild. Like the original, it is well balanced and burns well with few relights, a cool, consistent, fairly smooth flavor, and no dottle. Leaves virtually no dampness in the bowl. Won't bite or get harsh.
I rated the original Balkan Sobranie at four stars in every version except for the latest production, which got two stars due to Germain's formula change, which has a lower quality than previous productions.

jacks6

Lifer
May 9, 2016
Given that I've never had the 1970's version - I absolutely love the current iteration of Balkan Sobranie. Isn't it made by Germain?

Dec 28, 2015
I've never had the original either but I love the current version. Having a bowl of it this morning in fact. I also love Balkan Sassieni and Presbyterian. Haven't heard anyone else mention the Presbyterian but it is one of my 3 favorite English blends.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I smoked the original a few times, and it was a bit similar to my favorite tobacco, Burlington Arcade, not on shelves for over 30 years or so. The new one doesn't do it for me. If I were a reviewer, two out of four stars sounds right. It's a touch more than O.K., but not stellar.

Reactions: Fralphog
Status
Not open for further replies.