PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kane

Can't Leave
Dec 2, 2014
Just wondering if these are from the same maker. The label art work is similar design and the label Balkan suggests they may be the same. If so, I wonder at the huge price difference, the Sasieni being quite economical and the Sobranie being quite expensive and unavailable. My impression is that the Sobranie is the same tobacco that was popular in the past, and is either very scarce or very popular as it's always out of stock. I have never tried this tobacco or it's past version. My understanding is that the Sasieni is blended in the Balkan style, but is not a recreation of any particular blend from the past. I am smoking a bowl of Sasieni right now, and it's very pleasant, mild, seems like a good value at $7 a tin. Do these two come from the same place?

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Not the same stuff at all. The current version of Balkan Sobranie is made by Germaine. Balkan Sasieni is made by Stokkebye. The blend of constituent tobaccos is quite different as is the flavor.
As for the lineage, the story goes that Balkan Sasieni is from an older Redstone formula and is the older version of Balkan Sobranie. A lot of people think this is true and a lot think that the story is rubbish.
The current iteration of Balkan Sobranie purports to use the same recipe as the Sobranie of the 1980's and is made with the same equipment that was used back then.
Personally I find the current version of Balkan Sobranie disappointingly bland. HH WhiteKnight is a better recreation of the old Sobranie.
Between Sobranie and Sasieni, I'll take Sasieni every time. The bright floral notes brought out by the Macedonian leaf are more satisfying to me than the oily gasoline taste of the current Sobranie.

kane

Can't Leave
Dec 2, 2014
Good to know, sablebrush52. For $7 I am trying to find something not to like about the Sasieni, but it's very nice. I agree, Floral is a good adjective for it. Very nice aroma in the room, something my cohabitant doesn't mind. Loves me some WhiteKnight! But this stuff ain't bad. Btw, what's with the simple black and white line drawing graphics on the tins of Sasieni, Sobranie, and WhiteKnight? Is this an homage to the original Sobranie tin?

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
kane, sable's comments are spot on. As for the artwork on the current tins you mention, they are definitely an homage to the past blends. I smoked a lot of both n the '70's.

kane

Can't Leave
Dec 2, 2014
Thank you. I just did an image search. I see that the new Balkan Sobranie tin has the same graphic as the old. I guess it's that iconic that the other graphics tip their hats to it. Nice.

momeerphil

Might Stick Around
Oct 26, 2009
kane, thanks for asking the question about these 2 tobaccos. I have enjoyed both in the past. When we bought our old farmhouse several years ago, we found a partially used tin of Sasieni. Not wanting to waste the tobacco, and being unfamiliar with this blend at the time, I smoked it, and found it to be one of my favorites. I just checked and found that I have 4 tins of Sasieni and 2 of Sobranie. Think I might just have to open one of each and do my own taste test!

Thanks to the other posts that explained the history.

kane

Can't Leave
Dec 2, 2014
Very cool story, momeerphil. Please fire 'em up and let us know!

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
For the money, the Sasieni is a very nice blend, but a little mild.

I prefer the Black House over the White Knight, it has a good deal more Latakia punch.
I wonder how the Sasieni name is allowed to be used. Sasieni still makes pipes under the Cadogan family.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
"Personally I find the current version of Balkan Sobranie disappointingly bland."
Amen! I was excited after Balkan Sobranie again became available, and eagerly purchased a tin. Unfortunately I found it to be so pallidly insipid that I threw it in the trash (I can hear the horrified screams and anguished cries of some) after the first bowl. Life is simply too short to waste on uninspiring pipe-tobacco.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Personally I find the current version of Balkan Sobranie disappointingly bland. HH WhiteKnight is a better recreation of the old Sobranie.
Between Sobranie and Sasieni, I'll take Sasieni every time. The bright floral notes brought out by the Macedonian leaf are more satisfying to me than the oily gasoline taste of the current Sobranie.
I agree completely.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Hate to be odd man out, but I like Sobranie better than the others, with Sasieni a close second. White Knight is too dry for my taste, and can never get a uniform burn out of it.

kane

Can't Leave
Dec 2, 2014
If you like Balkan Sasieni, you need to order Arango Balkan Supreme--available in bulk. It is Stokkebye # 5 BS, and Balkan Sasieni--albeit with different labels but the same blender and the same formula.
ae1pt, you're saying this is a mix of the two Stokkebye blends, #5BS and Saseini mixed together? You think it's better than just the #5BS on its own?

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Great post, Kane!
Balkan Sasieni was one of my two go-to tobaccos - the other being my mainstay DH Nightcap. Kashmir was kind enough to send me a generous sample of C&D's Star of the East and BS got relegated.
I can't stack it against the old stuff - of course it pales in comparison - but BS is a swell smoke. I've also wondered about the tin art but was leery of asking yet another NFG question. (I've been here three years and still ask a newb question once a week.)
Thank you, Patrick, for the info on Stokkebye #5 BS.
PM sent.
Fnord

Status
Not open for further replies.