PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Baldo Baldi is a slightly mysterious citizen of the PipeWorld. He doesn't promote his pipes, particularly, just quietly cranks them out in his tiny Genoa workshop. The shapes are completely his own, and the grain of the wood he uses is often astonishing. (His highest grades sell for thousands of dollars.) As a result, he's on many collector's "must have" lists.
http://pipedia.org/wiki/Baldi
I was recently sent one of his pipes to have its stem replaced completely, since there was no other option. It was unrecoverable. (The original tenon had already been replaced once, and after a subsequent impact the repair itself failed---the body of the stem cracked where the Delrin replacement tenon had been inserted.)
Since I didn't have access to the original acrylic stem stock (I'm fairly certain it is something Baldo casts himself), the owner decided to go with Tortuga tortoise shell for #2. It's a bit darker, but very richly figured, and looks like something Baldo might have used himself if he'd made the pipe on a different day.
Because of the previous tenon breakage problems---it's a large and fairly heavy pipe---I thought it best to reinforce the new one with SS tubing.
Turned out well, I think. :D
------------------------
Kz8Xza6.jpg

upF0Kma.jpg

LsGB0a4.jpg

bqFz27k.jpg

GeKtKL2.jpg

hbDfvk0.jpg

ziQEG5w.jpg

QRR1SqN.jpg

1c0bJ3V.jpg

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
George, I think your customer is going to be VERY HAPPY! The pipe itself, that wavy rim is a lovely detail!

antbauers

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
Amazing work as always George. This pipe looks great with the new stem. I think Baldo Baldi himself would very happy.

glpease

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 17, 2010
California
The new stem appears to be perfection itself, and is, to my eye, an improvement over the original. And, the logo looks perfect, and I know how hard (though deceptive) that one is. The only thing I can find any fault at all with is that it's not mine.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Great job on the re-stem George. The new colour is a big improvement over the original in my opinion. Well done. :clap:

ron123

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 28, 2015
Park Ridge, IL
Although I don't have any Baldi's, I'd like to some day. Awesome job with matching the shape and logo. I'd be real happy to add this one to my collection. I've heard his stems typically could stand to be opened some, but it's hard to tell from the pics if that was the case with this pipe's original stem.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Outstanding work as always but you understand how p****d I am at you right?
Are you talking about my mistakenly putting that $60K bet of yours on the Mets because I fat-fingered the code on that Vegas website? Hey, it coulda happened to anybody. I said I was sorry, man, what more do you want from me?

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
OK... Dan didn't try to bet $60K on the Royals through me. I made that up. It was $100K, and he accidentally donated it to a GoFundMe project in Guatamala.
As for why he was pissed, he's the KC club's insanely hardworking & prolific newsletter editor---it averages 40+ pages a month---and would appreciate it if I'd send him repair project summaries and photo sets once in a while. Which, since I'm a club member, is a fair gripe.
Dan? I'll do better for ya from here on out, OK? Pinkie promise.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I love tortoise shell items (sunglasses, etc.), so the new stem floats my boat.
I'm fascinated by your ability to recreate random stem logos.

moriarty

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 3, 2012
George, as with the other replacement stems I've seen you post, this one is superior to the original. The lines are sharper and the shaping is more accurate (especially the line of the saddle, which looks to be at a slight angle on the original). It looks like perfect execution of what was intended, and the internals appear to be top quality. If I owned this pipe I would be extremely pleased with the stem you created, and it would affect positively my enjoyment of the pipe.
It isn't really the topic of this thread, but I can't help commenting that I don't understand the high prices of Baldi pipes in today's market. I only have one, and it is clumsily shaped, heavy, and has a restricted draw. Generally when I look at other Baldis they also appear to be relatively unsophisticated in their shaping, but often selling at prices where you would expect extremely fine and detailed shaping and finishing. Perhaps I'm missing something and, George, with your eye and experience, I'd be interested in your opinion. But disregard this if you prefer not to sidetrack the thread away from stem manufacture and onto the merits of the pipe.

nutcracker

Might Stick Around
Oct 28, 2015
I am not sure about his pipes exactly, but the highest quality briar (growth rate, age, visible grain, block size, sound, defects) is very expensive.

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
The replacement stem is imho an huge improvement , and the job is again beyond perfection : eagles fly alone George :worship:

I own two BB's. If it were not such a sin ; they are to kill for . :twisted:

Status
Not open for further replies.