PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
It seems obvious, as it is an odor eater, but it seems that no one has tried it before, or if they have, they haven’t discussed it...
So...
Anyone tried using baking soda or a baking soda / alcohol treatment to freshen up an old estate bowl?
I’m about to do so. I’ll report back. I hope I’m not overlooking something haha!

cossackjack

Lifer
Oct 31, 2014
Evergreen, Colorado
Yes, I use baking soda, usually with alcohol, to exorcise pipe ghosts when deep cleaning, alcohol-salt treatments, & coffee grounds treatments prove insufficient.

Several mildew-tainted estate pipes have required multiple alcohol-baking soda treatments followed by packing the pipe in dry baking soda in a zip-closure bag for several weeks. A tainted meerschaum pipe required a month packed in dry baking soda to remove the stench.
Activated charcoal treatment is another alternative described by Greg Pease. (I have yet to try this method).
Consider sending the pipe(s) to Walker Pipe Repairs for ozone treatment which should exorcise any stubborn ghosts.

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
When baking soda ( sodium bicarbonate ) is mixed with saliva ( enzyme ) it works fairly well to clean rims from persistent rim darkening. Put the bowl upside down ( support the shank ) in a Petri dish, or mason jar lid , and practice patience. Give it a luke warm water rinse afterwards. Restaining might be required. It will also remove stain from briar, far more safe than for instance the usual suspects, like Oxiclean.
Also : mix it with toothpaste to remove burns , works to a certain degree, say 75 % . Just put on the paste and allow it to sit for a few minutes.
Cotton bowls and vinegar do a good job for refreshing the bowl too. More friendly alternative for salt and alcohol.
Will you keep us posted lmb , this is mighty interesting ?

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
It will remove burn marks? I have an estate amphora with four burn marks I’d love to see go away. I will try it as well in a few weeks

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
Thanks for chiming in, all! I reamed the bowls gently, and sanded the very thin layer of remaining carbon smooth and even. Then I q-tip swabbed the inside of the bowls with 151 vodka, and put some baking soda in and rubbed it into the walls, like a rough paste. I was careful not to get any outside of the bowls as I do know that baking soda is abrasive. After a half-hour, I rinsed with warm water and scrubbed the insides with my finger. After drying with a paper towel, a few were already odorless, and the the other two required a repeat treatment...but as an end result with not much time taken, I can say it was quite successful! The bowls are almost totally odorless, even with a very thin layer of protective cake remaining.
I imagine a longer setting time could eradicate even the most ghoulish of ghosts! The vodka was probably not even necessary; water would probably do just fine. In that case, that would be a completely worry-free and easy home de-ghosting method. Next time I’ll try it with just water and baking soda, and then report back.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
When you got ghosts, who ya gonna call? lightmybriar! Baking soda as another exorcism. Good info.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
Orlando- the burn marks are on the sides and look ugly. Pipe is fine but really ugly. I won’t expect miracles but if it can dull it s bit I’ll be happy. Thanks for the tip.

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
You are welcome my friend.

Be sure there is plenty BS in the toothpaste ( not the gel kind ! ), best leave it for ten minutes or more .

If the burn is deep and/or the briar scorched there is little chance .

Several attempts will not hurt . Some try it with bleach :-(
Toothpaste also works for skin burns !

headhunter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2013
After cotton ball and Everclear treatments if it needs help I do cotton ball and white vinegar, it has never failed for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.