PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Woke up this morning, went in kitchen for a cup of coffee, smells of Erinmore galore. I had put a tin of Erinmore in oven at 185 degs, put it on pipe table to cool. Smelled so good I wanted to eat it.LOL, if you've never tried it you are missing something very good.

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
That's a great idea Bradley. I have read so much about baking tobacco, especially recommended by Dr. Fred Hanna. It must mellow out a blend to another level. Good recommendation from you, I must try that soon. And I bet the aroma in the kitchen is as nice as a freshly baked apple pie!!! :D

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Yes it is Doc, even the wife likes it, tried it folded and stuffed, was on the porch with PMon and North winds up to 20 mph so I wanted it to stay lit, but cubed is a lot better more robust flavor.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Sounds great. After reading Fred Hanna's book, I've learned to bake quite a few tins. I've had good luck basically with all VA forward blends. As for other blends, Dunhill's 965, EMP, Royal Yacht do well. So does Balkan Sasieni.

cavendish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2013
Thanks Kashmir. I like to toast Peter Stokkebye LTF, LBF and recently a new liking to LNF as well. Rich from 4noggins said to try 180F for 180min

jbbaldwin

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 1, 2012
Flake.
I suppose you could bake the mixture. (The mixture has gotten such bad press around here I've never smoked it, baked or not.)
Bradley talked me into trying the baked flake last year, and I'm glad he did. It's very nice.

smokertruck

Can't Leave
Aug 1, 2013
If you bake prior to opening tin ? - why does the heat not pop the tighter unopened tins - & if you smell the aroma of the erinmore is that not a result of strength escaping out of tin while in the oven ?
the baking then cooling is that prior to opening tin to jar?
i have a tin of the erinmore flake opened about a month but notice it dries out a lot as the tin is very loose compared to other companies -

should have transferred to jar -

should i place the remaining tobacco in oven or too late ?

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Tins are placed in the oven sealed, upopened. With plastic cap off, but paper on. For Dunhill tins, I just toss them in as is. For GLP tins I first remove the plastic lid.

Jan 8, 2013
So this can be done with practically any kind of tin? Tins like the Dunhill blends or tins with a pull ring such as a Hearth and Home blend? Can you do this with practically any blend of tobacco? Can it be done with Virginias, Balkans, Englishes, Orientals, or even Aromatics?

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Anthony - I find that VA and VAPers do better than Lat blends. Orintals like VAs also do well. The baking seems to meld the flavors, producing a richer smoke. Some say it mimicks the natural aging process. I don't know about that, but I've found after baking its good to age it further, like a year. I've tried Escudo smoking it right after baking, after a few weeks and after a year. All different tins. The year aging after bsking was the best. Noticibly different from the first two or from fresh stuff. At 180 the paper on the tins or the stick on labels like those on Dunhill tins survive the treatment. Oh, Dunhill's EMP does really well with baking.

05venturer

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Amery,WI
I have 2 tins of Erinmore Mixture that were given to me that are unopened and 1 that I tried didn't care for and jarred. I am guessing they are at least 15 years old right now, I am gonna bake em up and then continue aging them. They can only get better ( I hope).

timpiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 31, 2013
Australia
I baked a tin of EMP then put it in a bail top jar for a year.
The change is amazing, almost like a different blend.
The flavour is richer. Simply superb.
I will only smoke EMP this way now, in my Pete 303.
-Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.