PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bcharles123

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 18, 2014
If Erininmore is great baked, I bet that 4th generation 1931 will do very well baked. I may try tomorrow!

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
Based on what I recall from Dr. Fred Hanna's original article on tin baking (his is the first I ever heard of) the baked tins lose their seal. So, the tobacco should be enjoyed after baking/cooling. I assume you could jar the contents as well though. Admittedly, I've always relied on time alone to age tobacco.
Mike S.

smokertruck

Can't Leave
Aug 1, 2013
HEAVEN !!!!!!
baked my tin of flake erinmore - the aroma in the oven was awesome - after 3 hr @180 removed from the oven could smell the erinmore thru the tin -let it stand now 24hrs.
now go to transfer the tobacco to a jar ...sh..t - the seal is broken but according to an above post it does unseal when baked - no suction fairly loose top - remove the top ... !!!!!!!!!!TOBACCO IS ALMOST BLACK & AROMA IS AWESOME - CAN SMELL MOSTLY THE APRICOT !!!!!!!!

more intense than & better than before baking - i can do this every day - i cant believe the aroma - intense apricot. could not have even dreamed of such intensity of aroma

whoever dreamed up this idea of baking must have been in heaven when he smelled the tobacco afterwards.
have not tried it yet - sore throat - of all the times.
wish i had done this 50 years ago when erinmore was even fruitier.
another topic...
i have a tin of royal yacht - not my cup-of-tea - smoked 3 bowls ... anyways even though the tin was opened baked it anyways . still not for me.

but interesting ... even though the tin had been opened prior to baking , when it cooled i tried to swivel it open - no such luck - needed a coin to pry it open - incredible suction!! - only a dunhill tin can do that. i intend to jar the tobacco & then use the tin to bake other tobaccos - when closing the tin i with full strength close it so i guess the dunhill tin was ready for sealing when in the oven - but it sure did hiss when i opened it with a coin. not sure how often it will allow me to bake & create suction but will try.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
Recently, Erinmore flake became my everyday smoke. The flavor and nicotine content is amazing. I have few flakes left inside the tin. On the other hand, I cannot get the same joy from Erinmore Mixture. I will try to bake my next Erinmore flake tin for sure.

smokertruck

Can't Leave
Aug 1, 2013
i baked at 180 deg or 92 deg C for 3 hrs - just put in the oven on a wrack on broil rather than bake which is too intense.

- i did no preparation - i am not sure if the flake tin had lost its seal when it started but according to above post mine did lose its seal by the time i removed it - - place on kitchen counter top in 1 hr it is cooled but waited til next day to try it - it is more mellowed out & seems to have lost some of its nicotine hit which usually gives me a malaria hit big time but not this time - maybe another positive result aside from awesome flavor & aroma - the jar now has the aroma of apricot !

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
At this moment I am enjoying some Erinmore flake for the first time in about six months and wondering why I don't smoke it more often and why it doesn't get more love. It is reminiscent of Esoterica Dorchester to me. I was curious if there was a thread about it being underrated and found this. I'm going to go home and try putting a few flakes in a sous vide for several hours. Can't wait...

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
OK, I had to look it up.... To save others the trouble...
Sous-vide is a method of cooking in which food is placed in a plastic pouch or a glass jar and then placed in a water bath or steam environment for longer than normal cooking times (usually 1 to 7 hours, up to 48 or more in some cases) at an accurately regulated temperature. The temperature is much lower than normally ...
Pretty darn cool, craig, if not quite récherché! :)

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
Thanks jpmcwjr. To save others further trouble...
recherché

[ruh-shair-shey, ruh-shair-shey; French ruh-sher-shey]

adjective

sought out with care.
very rare, exotic, or choice; arcane; obscure.
;-)

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
The truth is that I don't want to risk offending my wife's sensitive sense of smell using our oven. Sous vide will be aroma-free until I open the bag. In addition, it'll be an interesting alternative that will retain virtually all moisture. So, I don't expect the results to be identical to baking, but should be similar to baking in a sealed tin.

Erinmore was mentioned as being a favorite of C S Lewis, and it gets love, but we don’t flaunt it, as it is always available. But if it ever should become so popular that it becomes hard to find, it will be a sad day.

Besides, many people are put-off by the urinal cake tin smell. It takes a bit of experience to handle smoking it slow and savoring it to pull out those fruity notes of the blend, plus the moderate to high nicotine. It’s more of a smoke for the experienced.
But, there was much discussion about it having a pineapple scent, which turns out that was merely influenced by the design of “hospitality” and not an ingredient at all. So, it has had it’s day in the spotlight.
I’ve cooked it in the oven, as posted years ago in the dialog. It didn’t leave any ghost in the oven, but it did make the house smell great.

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
I've got some fresh Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake, slightly aged Erinmore, and some 2010 McClelland Blackwoods flake in the sous vide at 180F. Just a few bowls worth of each. I'll leave it in for about four hours and then let it stabilize in the bags until morning.
I realize that the Blackwoods flake is already stoved, so I'm interested to see if this affects even stoved tobaccos.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"Besides, many people are put-off by the urinal cake tin smell."
I've never experienced that with Erinmore Flake Michael but I do get a juicy fruit bubble gum whiff from the tin which sounds nasty in itself but it's a great smoke.
Regards,
Jay.

Status
Not open for further replies.