PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 8, 2013
I just came up with another question... 8O is it possible that a tin could explode while baking?

Oh... and one more. How could you bake something you no longer have the tin for? I would think it would have to be something air tight such as the tin, otherwise you would turn your tobacco into dry toast.

05venturer

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Amery,WI
Honey!!! Dinner will be ready in another year :rofl:

762DC90F-461E-4319-AFD8-3921BC0A3481_zps6hy1lfwf.jpg

Looks like the pizza stone needs a cleaning :rofl:

kabbuse

Lurker
Nov 24, 2013
is it possible to bake them in the mason jars unfortunately my local tobacco shop only has tobacco in baggies

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
Bumping this thread since I have a tin of Erinmore Flake in the oven right now, and the smell is just as amazing as described above. It's like baking a dessert, a cobbler maybe? Making me hungry... :puffy:

Dec 24, 2012
I get away with a lot of things in my house - wife doesn't care how many new pipes I buy or how much tobacco - but if I started baking tins of tobacco in our oven I think she would have my nuts in a large jar that sits above the sink.

Dec 24, 2012
How in God's name do you avoid a trip to the inlaws? I am forced to go, on pain of a slow and excruciating death.

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
How in God's name do you avoid a trip to the inlaws? I am forced to go, on pain of a slow and excruciating death.
I don't have a very heartwarming relationship with the in-laws. :roll: We have a nice cordial relationship that would not be enhanced by sustained interaction.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
I don't know why I'm just finding out about this phenomenon now, but you guys have literally tried everything but mixing tobacco leaves into your salad.
I have heard that leaving a small amount of a blend out on the sun can slightly mimic the aging process, but this takes the cake.
You guys are trying to become alchemists and cheat nature. And I like it. :puffy:

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
Just a quick update. I took the Erinmore from the oven, and after it cooled down I checked it and the top of the tin was no longer sealed. The aroma of the darkened flakes was ridiculously good. I'm going to leave it sit overnight in the tin then transfer it to a mason jar tomorrow. I can't wait to try this!

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I just finally tried this, I like erinmore as it comes, but I decided to give it a try. The way I "baked" my erinmore was putting it on a slow cooker while a stew was being cooked. I then let it sit for probably a month. Then recently I put it on top of the slow cooker again cooking a roast for about 5 hours at least. I then let it sit for another week or so. Upon opening the tin I noticed the paper was a bit wet, and the flakes had turned dark, like much darker than the unbaked erinmore, almost stoved looking. I haven't let it dry enough yet for a proper smoke but the one I had I noticed it to be a lot mellower in a good way, after it dries a bit more to the optimum smoking preference for me I think it will pick up some strength, as I find moist tobacco to be a bit too mellow for my liking. The tin note was very tea like and much different than the unbaked erimore. I just can't justify turning on the oven for a tin of tobacco, so I find putting the tin on the slow cooker is a good substiute. So this would technically be twice baked erinmore. I'm looking forward to trying this would stuff like FVF and escudo, there is a definite change that takes place, just the color alone, not to mention the aroma. Just from the first smoke I found it to be sweeter as well. Sometimes smoking erinmore I think I do get a pineapple flavor, it is a closely guarded secret what the topping is. There's definitely apricot. I find though I'll get different flavors different days, sometimes it's almost like a traditional "urinal cake" type flavor, sometimes apricot, once or twice I was getting pineapple. A chameleon tobacco that keeps me interested always.

smokertruck

Can't Leave
Aug 1, 2013
erinmore was fruitier 50 years ago when i smoked at age 20 & 3 nuns was mostly coins not fill as it is today.

smokertruck

Can't Leave
Aug 1, 2013
baking a tin of erinmore - my stove never smelled so good - not the same sweet aroma as when you crack open a tin

- not sweet but all tobacco aroma. hope that tin is sealed well, even though i can smell the tobacco.

smokertruck

Can't Leave
Aug 1, 2013
i opened a tin of royal yacht - - can i close the tin as tightly as possible & bake or would it dry the tobacco completely ? - -
would then like to transfer bagged tobacco to a tin & bake it if the tobacco is not totally dried out

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
i opened a tin of royal yacht - - can i close the tin as tightly as possible & bake or would it dry the tobacco completely ?
I have never done this specifically, but Royal Yacht rehydrates well with a 50/50 mixture of whiskey and distilled water.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
According to Brad who started this thread you can cover the tin with tinfoil, put the top back on, then bake it in the oven. I can smell erinmore in the tin when it's sealed anytime, so no worries, pretty much every round tin almost I can smell the tobacco in it when it's sealed.

Status
Not open for further replies.