PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

thomasmartin

Can't Leave
Jul 13, 2015
Unesco world heritage
Picture this: the whole day, since, like most people on this planet, you cannot smoke at work, you're looking forward to you're evening pipe. Then the moment finally comes. After dinner, a nice glass of red, you take your favorite pipe, thoroughly cleaned, fill a bowl with your favorite blend, light it, sit back to savor the moment and... it tastes like shit! It's a foul smelling, nasty tasting, tong burning, nose tickling mess that makes you put away your pipe in distaste and doupt if pipe smoking is a good idea in the first place. Does this also happen to you? I have days like this and it's awful.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Wow. A day like that might be my last one on Earth! All kidding aside, I have settled in for a smoke like you describe only to find I picked the wrong tobacco for the situation. I just grab a different tobacco, a different pipe, and try again. It does sting a little when you dump out a barely-scorched bowl of high-quality tobacco, though.

gregprince

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 29, 2014
Not in the modern era, but I've been there. Once upon a time I think we've probably all been there. Seems now they get as bad as pretty darned good but mostly much better than that. Hang on, it's worth the ride. Heck, it's probably worth the cost of admission just for the patience you will develop, the fellowship here is certainly worth it. Relax, be calm, don't worry, be happy.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
The tannins in red wine might not be a good fit with the blends you are choosing. Try a glass of cognac or Grand Marnier or a cup of coffee. Something with a sweet finish, maybe a nice 20 year old Tawny Port.

msandoval858

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
I agree with Harris. Red wine and tobacco have never made for a good mix for me. When I smoke I generally stick to water, tea or coffee. I'm a big craft beer fan and I enjoy wines, scotch, bourbon etc. but I tend to leave those hobbies separate from my pipes and allow myself to enjoy each more fully.

thomasmartin

Can't Leave
Jul 13, 2015
Unesco world heritage
Perhaps it's the Burley. I've had issues with Burley blends in the past. I've never had Problems combining red wine and smoking. I live in an European country. Not drinking wine is no option around here. :P

Mar 1, 2014
My last bowl of Star of the East was not nearly as good as usual. Probably because I was playing with the moisture content since that stuff comes nearly bone dry from the bag.

Most of my Virginia blends and Frog Morton are fantastic fresh from the tin, or even sopping wet, but maybe bone dry is just right for SotE.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I've not experienced that. And, as most here know, I'm a "sloppy" smoker. I rarely am without a smoldering pipe or cigarette in my mouth when not abed. Pipe is preferred. I'm guessing, as others have, that something you ate or are drinking caused a conflict. If the blend and pipe are trusty, it has to be something else in your mouth. I wouldn't blame the pipe first.

brudnod

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 26, 2013
Great Falls, VA
I don't drink anything while smoking; concentrate on the smoking. After, bourbon; concentrate on the drinking. Guess I don't like to multitask this stuff...

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
I just grab a different tobacco, a different pipe, and try again
Ditto, Dave, Hunter
I had one of those Sunday night. Went from one of my favorite Mastro De Pajas with an aromatic to a Poul Winslow with Deception Pass. All was right in the universe. I am thinking some of this may go back to the PH thing on any given day. I have been drinking 1 1 1/2 Tbls of lemon juice in water three times a day for arthritis, which seems to really help. The point is this changes the PH in your body. This may have a positive or negative effect on the things I taste. I am not sure about this as I have only been doing it a short time but it has really helped my knees.

puffndave

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 9, 2015
Cigrmaster called it well - while I've found red wine to be a great pairing for some cigars which I've smoked, it can be very finicky, and then pipe tobacco can be even more so. The surest no-fail which I've paired with pipe tobacco is coffee, the next most likely is IPA (that specification is important!) beer. Whiskey or rum tends to work alright too, especially when added to coffee.
Another issue which I've noticed is that what I just had for dinner seems to make a difference. For example, if I just ate red Italian with lots of garlic, then no tobacco seems to combine well with that taste in my mouth! I would need to either brush my teeth, follow that one up with a sweet dessert, or drink sweet, milky coffee in order to clear the palate.

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
+1 I'm with puffndave in pointing at the food and spices before I would blame the wine. If the food has an astringent spice like curry, ginger or garlic, it might misbalance your taste buds. Cream and cheeses would tend to coat the taste buds, but that would mute the tobacco taste more than foul it. Harris's suggestions about something sugary strike me as useful in getting your mouth feeling lively again.
BTW, coffee, and especially tea, have components that do a marvelous job of cleansing all sorts of things. Of course, in the former case, watch out for staining.
hp

les

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have a slightly different take, since I don't usually do a beverage pairing (though I sometimes do and often enjoy it). Some days just aren't good pipe smoking days. Hydration, body chemistry, diet, mood, whatever, even your favorite blend is so-so at best. Wait a day or two, and it's elixir from the leaf spirits. If it's not going well, just put the pipe down and let it go out, and wait, even a day or two. Then everything is better.

Status
Not open for further replies.