PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

B18

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2015
I don't know if this is already said on the forum, but there is some bad news for all those who like German tobacco like DTM, Peter Heinrich and HU-tobacco.

According to new laws in Germany. German tobacco stores/companies can't ship tobacco internationally, not even to the rest of the EU.
I was planning to buy some tobacco in Germany(because they are cheaper than where I live) and I across the new rules on their websites. I than contacted DTM and they said that they can't send tobacco internationally.

This is some complete BS!

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
Has there been any good news to come out of Germany in years? Or the EU for that matter?

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
Its not just in Germany its all of Europe.ie you cant send from UK to elsewhere in europe either,or say France to Holland.I live in Greece and used to order from Germany but cant now

B18

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2015
@paulfg I couldn't get UK blends, every site i visited they said they can't send outside the UK. I live in the Netherlands, so that doesn't really surprise me.

But Germany... that was a big hit to me. Now i have to visit there and hope that the shops have the blends i like.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
God darn it ... I was in Dresden last month and picked up a few things. I didn't buy too much because I figured I would place another order this month, via the internet. That is some major bs
It makes sense to limit a company in your country from shipping outside the country... not.
It's even worse than that man, the whole point of the European Union is to make its citizens feel as less belonging from different countries, from an economical stand point at least. I am so dissapointed ... now I have to make due with whatever tobacco shops over find fit to import - and half of that is crap.

So, this means that countries like France that do not have a pipe tobacco producer will no longer have any tobaccos imported? Or, that they can only import from places like the US?
And, Germany can only smoke German made tobaccos?
Where is MacBarens? Will they be effected?
And, since Britain is still part of the EU, does this affect Samuel Gawiths? I keep getting told at The Briary that this may be the last of the Sam Gawiths in the US.

B18

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2015
@Cosmic from my understanding, they can still send tobacco by Business to Business. From Business to Consumer internationally isn't allowed, but B2C locally is allowed.

From what i understand from DTM website, is that Germans can still order tobacco but there are stricter rules. such as when the package is being delivered, they need register their names and ages with the postal company and that only the buyer can accept the package. all this to reduce the chance of under-age smoking.
Truly absurd...

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I thought Britain told the EUnuchs to go take a flying f**k at a doughnut hole. Did I miss something big?

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
Cosmic I don't think this effects the relationship between tobacco shops and manufacturers, their import/export contracts and so in (not completly sure though, just found out about this myself). All I am certain about is that I, personally, not living in Germany can no longer order from the tobacco shop I used buy from in Germany. For example if a blend made in England is imported by a french tobacco shop, you can buy that blend for say in a Parisian tobacco shop. But as an individual residing in France (as in your mailing address), you can no longer buy directly from a particular tobacco shop in London - they won't ship any longer.

aimlesswanderer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 25, 2016
Here's my understanding:
Let's take UK companies as a startpoint, translate this for other EU countries as applicable. Firstly, as I understand it, the EU-TPD (Tobacco Products Directive) has been interpretted and committed to national law differently in different countries. This means that just because a manufacturer is registered in the UK, doesn't give them automatic right of registration in the other 27 countries. As such, as well as registering at home, they have to register seperately in each of the other countries for each product in each variation and packaging size. The manufacturers aren't prepared to pay that level of registration fee, and are refusing to go through with full registration in all 28 realms.
This leaves products unregisted in EU countries and tobacconists and online vendors unable to (legally) supply neighbouring states. Several of these have already decided not to ship to other countries such as the US to avoid potential litigation there too (either by coming a cropper with the FDA thing, or state laws on distance selling, or simply because their insurers won't let them do it because it's more hassle than it's worth).
So far as I am aware, I haven't heard of any country who has set laws to prevent product export per se. If this is the perception, the legal elements that people are trying to avoid is facing international law suits filed from the importing nation.
It's messy! It sucks! It's probably this confusing on purpose!

kanse

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2016
Ever since I began smoking pipe, I've been ordering British tobacco from USA because it costs cheaper.

Europe is screwed.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
IRRC the German laws went into effect late last year. I don't think this is an EU thing, but German regulations. The UK has had some very strict rega of their own regarding tobacco, so Brexit has no effect. These regs primarily affect export sales to individuals. You can still buy tobacco while abroad, and your pals can still send gifts. But even those activities have been curtailed by any number of countries.
Why any surprise? Cassandras have been predicting this for years.
Well, guess I'll go enjoy some Motzek Strang, followed by some Makhuwa.

oldreddog

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 4, 2014
Aimlesswander spot on.
Adlecaker the UK did and is now shitting itself.
Toobfreak the longest continuous period of peace in European history.
Cosmic I imagine b2b exports will continue. Eg Gallaghers fecking off to east Europe.
Tobacco is banjaxed,grass is the new order and Frau Merkel is the leader of the free world.

Yours from the saltmine

Oldreddog

aimlesswanderer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 25, 2016
Please remember Brexit hasn't happened yet. It hasn't even started. All that's happened so far is that we have voted that we should leave, and our government has started trying to put a plan together for that to happen. We will likely still be in the EU for another two years while they all try to thrash out amicable divorce settlements. Till then, we're still in just as deep as the other 27.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
With GB gone, Germany is now the economic center of the EU. Next step, ban the export of pipes. Just as here in recent times, they are hand-picking their winners and losers. Sure, that'll fix their economy!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If this had a single purpose, like health promotion, that would be comprehensible. Instead, I think it is a flurry of cross purposes that collectively constitute chaos rather than intention. This makes it almost impossible to oppose because there is no court of public opinion to address. Which will produce black markets and corruption where none need to exist. This will result in every man over fifty being approached by street venders with the tins in the linings of their trench coats. Think of the young people drawn to this traffic who wouldn't otherwise be caught smoking a pipe. Hey man, gotcha some 'cap? Got some nice Grangey too. Looky here.

Status
Not open for further replies.