PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rx2man

Part of the Furniture Now
May 25, 2012
I am not sure if there is anything new going on. I was in Austria summer of 15 and was looking for HTFs to bring back. I could not find anything from Aylesbury or Germains. Was not sold anywhere in Austria. Was not happy.....

aimlesswanderer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 25, 2016
Mso489, the single purpose is to minimise the small companies' share in the market and block harm reduction. The main sufferers are the smaller businesses which offer a wide range of blends. The big tobacco players with smaller product ranges produced in higher quantities face less registration fees.
It was mentioned elsewhere on the 'net that Marlboro will face fees of less than £10k (petty cash for them) whereas some of the smaller snuff and vape manufacturers could face fees stretching into the millions, and in some cases approaching 100x annual turnover.
For a pipe example, look at how many products come out of GH and SG (a small company, even after remerging) compared with the likes of Condor or St Bruno. The smaller and more diverse companies are being penalised for their diversity, which is the very thing that keeps them viable. Glynn Quelch was instantly removed from the blending scene, Molens de Kralingse was instantly removed from the snuff scene. Wilsons of Sharrow saw their range drop by over 80%, and other snuff makers followed suit. I don't think we've even begun to see the full effects with the pipe scene yet.
I do not believe for one minute that this unfairness where the big companies pay less than the smaller ones was unintentional. It started under the auspices of health and reducing the uptake by young people, and through back room deals, big tobacco swung things in their favour. It's the only explaination. Even the EU isn't incompetent enough for this to happen by accident.

drennan

Can't Leave
Mar 30, 2014
Normandy
The problem the EU has with cross border tobacco is very simple, tax revenue or rather the loss of tax revenue. Tobacco is highly taxed in certain EU countries and not so much in others, the UK goverment doesn't want to lose out on tax revenue to say Spain. It's got nothing to do with health or the war on tobacco it's pure simple greed.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
I think some may be overcomlicating this, seeking rational motive or even self-serving economic motive where there is none. The EU is an SJW converged political entity. As such, it operates no differently than SJW converged, post-profit corporations.

aimlesswanderer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 25, 2016
Drennan, that only takes account of retail, but the registration aspect means that retailers cannot stock a product that has not been registered in their country. Without automatic registration and compliance throughout all member nations, the UK loses out both in terms of reduced exports, and of retail taxation and exise of products imported by retailers. UK made tobacco products aren't hitting the shelves in continental stores, and continental tobaccos aren't hitting UK stores. Both countries' small businesses suffer, and the only products on either shelves are big tobacco.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Sablebrush52, Just as you said,this is how the cookies scrambles now these newer restrictions sand for registred business seller while interactions between individuals residing within Eu or the U.S are not concerned as illegal for the time being.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
drennan not sure this is the case for pipe tobacco ... Just a quick survey on your mean price for a 50 g tobacco tin: Germany EUR 13.50, Hungary EUR 14 (converted from HUF), Romania EUR 14.40 (converted from RON), France EUR 15 ... that's the price I have paid for tobacco from these countries over the last 6 months. While what you say is certainly true for bulk vs packaged cigarette tobacco, not sure this is the case for pipe tobacco - as can be seen above prices vary +/- EUR 1, which is not a considerable price difference for the buyer to prefer a certain EU country over another. For example, I have friends that buy bulk cigarette tobacco from Hungary, as the Hungarian government does not tax this type of tobacco the same as packaged cigarettes, while the Romanian government treats bulk just like 20 cigarette packs - in terms of stamp tax and tariff. The difference between Hungarian stamped and Romanian stamped bulk tobacco is as high as 50%, but like i said this does not seem to be the case for pipe tobacco ..

pipeman84

Lurker
Dec 9, 2016
@brendan18

I live in the EU and just ordered from DTM and another German website last month and there were no problems. They didn't say anything like 'this will be your last order with us'. What's going on? 8O

grue

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 9, 2016
Good thing we can still order from the Danish Pipeshop.
Seriously, all we have here in Greece are those few blends: http://www.montecristo-shop.gr/kapnoi_pipas.html

every single tobacco shop has those -at best- and not even one different. Nightmare!

B18

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2015
@pipeman84

I don't really know. Helga Schröder from DTM told me that she doesn't ship to the Netherlands (send them a email last friday).

pipeman84

Lurker
Dec 9, 2016
I know that rolling tobacco can't be shipped outside Germany. If now DTM doesn't ship any tobacco product to Netherlands, it's either a country specific thing or more probably some misunderstanding at DTM. :puffpipe:

stvalentine

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2015
Northern Germany
I just tried to order tobacco from the UK (I live in Germany) and they told me they can´t ship it to me. They are confused themselfs where shipping tobacco is still allowed and so they sticl to the UK. Another seller in the UK is currently processing my order without a hassle so far.
Thank god I still have HU and DTM, otherwise this would look like a bleak future! 8O

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Of course the next nail in the coffin (for UK smokers at least) is the forthcoming ban on internet sales of tobacco products.
When this is going to happen I cannot be sure but one thing for certain is that it will happen!
What with the mass closing down of traditional B&M tobacconists this will be our very own dodo moment.
Scary days ahead folks.
Regards,
Jay.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
The more humans try to make things better -- regulations, laws, rules, fines, progress -- the more they create their own doom.
All advanced civilizations self-destruct through this pursuit of Utopia.
Consider atavism instead.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
"The more humans try to make things better -- regulations, laws, rules, fines, progress -- the more they create their own doom.
All advanced civilizations self-destruct through this pursuit of Utopia." - Deathmetal
Very true.

Human is the only species on the planet that pursues immortality even though it goes agains God's will or design (if you believe in God) or the natural order of nature.
No living thing that I know of on this planet was designed to exist forever.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"No living thing that I know of on this planet was designed to exist forever."
The cockroach springs to mind as doing a very good job. By all accounts one of the few critters to survive nuclear Armageddon, chop his head off and he will live...until he dies of starvation!
Amazing but damned awful critter.
Regards,
Jay.

Status
Not open for further replies.