PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

smokinfireman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 17, 2015
As an EMT, I often get stereotyped by people who think that as healthcare providers, we should be the epitome of health and peak physical condition. Truthfully, most of us are overweight, out of shape, and have to have help finding our boots when the buzzer goes off at 2 AM. My partner and I were standing by at a P.R. event, and as it was crowded inside the main building, I stepped outside for a smoke. I pulled out my leather tobacco pouch and my trusty Mr. Brog, stuffed it with some CBW and fired her up. I wasn't even done tamping down the charring light when this old bat and her pitiful, miserable looking husband walked up. She proceeded to shout "bad EMT" at me and scold me about how bad smoking was for me, how her dad died from cigarettes, blah blah blah. Well, as I was in company uniform, I couldn't tell her to f#$k off like I wanted to, but it almost made me laugh how some people actually think doctors and EMS personnel don't smoke, drink, overeat, you know, all the same things real people with lives do.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
People need to get real and accept that other people are not "perfect," and that "perfect" is an insane standard not related to reality :)

Jun 4, 2014
Smokinfireman I understand where you are coming from. I've been involved in the fire service for 30 year and have seen that perception first hand also.

davidintexas

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 4, 2013
Did you tell her thanks for the advice that you would keep that in mind next time you think about lighting up a CIGARETTE!

smokinfireman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 17, 2015
@ derfatdutchman
I think we in fire and EMS also have a tendency to be expected to be superhumans with no flaws.

tinsel

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
I have 2 very close friends in the medical field. One is a phlebotomist and the other is a physician's assistant at a private gastroenterology practice.
They are 2 of the heaviest drinkers I know. :)

jdhayes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 15, 2016
You work in the medical field long enough you learn that 90% of the population is bat shit crazy and it will drive you to drinking and smoking.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I had a ride in an emergency vehicle last August.

I was given all sorts of tests and answered questions from what seemed like 6 different (really, only 4, I think) people all at once.

I was eventually given a diagnosis of 'syncope' and allowed to leave the hospital 'emergency' area and go home.

The GUYS involved all seemed to be muscle builders on steroids and were 'in your face' aggressive.

I felt like I'd become part of their 'routine', which seemed to involve a less than therapeutic approach, at least from an emotional perspective.

I felt as if my answers were superfluous to the outcome of my experience, which was now out of my own hands.

No recurrences to report.

smokinfireman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 17, 2015
@ newbroom
I'm sorry you had such a bad experience. Some EMS workers get burnt out and tend to treat patients as robots, just going through the motions. Part of it is due to all the BS calls we run and all the drug seekers and fakers who just want a taxi ride knowing that medicaid will pay for it. Sometimes we forget that patients are real people. Then there are those who start out their careers with sour attitudes who just want a paycheck without doing a good job. I'm guessing you probably got a bad crew close to shift change. We are not all that way though. I pride myself in good patient care and do all I can to make that dreaded ride a positive and uplifting experience. Sadly, there are some who don't even try. I hope you are doing well now :)

danhester

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 17, 2016
Some people just can't help themselves from being busybodies. I don't understand the impulse that tells someone it's ok to criticize another adult for something that doesn't harm them personally.
I used to work with this salty dog (hey, that's the name of a blend!). One day he said he was outside having a smoke. This older woman came out and started giving him a ration of shit about smoking being bad for him. He listened and said, "Thanks, but where was your concern when the Army drafted me and sent my ass off to Korea?!" He swore that happened. Maybe you can use that line and update it with some dangerous scenarios you respond to as an EMT for the public benefit.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Back in the 80's I used to smoke a pipe in the ambulance while enroute to calls. Times have changed, of course, and every now and then I get asked about it, but I cite Dr. Fred Hannah's research and light up. I think it makes me more approachable to the crew, to smoke with some of them. One of the captains I work with smokes a pipe as well. I do miss working the streets though, but shipboard medicine is much more challenging. Let people gauge you on your skills, and don't worry what they think about your pipe. BTW, I have been an EMT for 36 years, and my specialty is remote environment EMS.

crusader

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2014
Nebraska
About 10 or so yrs ago our City Council made it a requirement that all EMS personnel were tobacco free not only at work but in private time! I am not one but I think that is complete B.S.!

I have several firefighter EMT friends and the stories they tell :crying:. As far as I'm concerned, smoke whenever and wherever on or off duty.

Status
Not open for further replies.