PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cwpiperman

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2018
Is it me ("OF COURSE IT IS!", you all scream), or are P&C and SPC (and other places) backordered on virtually EVERY C&D or Dunhill (I know it's going away.....) AND GL Pease blend? Looking to stock up on some faves, and found very little available.
CW

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Arrghh... It be discriminatin' o' tha seaworthy, I say.
Set up your email alerts on all of the sites, be patient and clean all that parrot shit off yer shoulder.
P&C and maybe some others also let you place the order when back ordered. You can still get the free shipping as long as the total order meets the minimal. They will only charge you for items as they ship.
Some times they forget about sending back ordered things, so check your pending orders occasionally. There's a known issue if you pay with paypal and the back order period exceeds 30 days.
jay-roger.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Now could be a great time to try a carefully selected group of pouch tobaccos in your favored genre, and maybe one or two outside your usual choices. There are some good ones out there, and at the prices, you can afford to try something about which you're uncertain. It also gives you peace of mind when the "favs" go on backorder.

spartan99

Can't Leave
Mar 10, 2017
I ordered a few tins of Fleet Commander from P&C when they ran a promotion on the H&H Marquee blends in early April. They are still on backorder today, over five months later. I am surprised that they've been out of stock on a house blend for that long.
P&C seems to have a harder time maintaining stock than SPC on all but the most widely available blends, and are frequently wiped out shortly into one of their big sales. On the other hand, they do accept backorders, which can be nice if you're more price than time sensitive.
SPC has every GL Pease blend in stock right now except for Maltese Falcon and Odyssey, so I'm not sure what the OP is going on about in that regard.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
Why is C&D unavailable, of all things? Their blends are almost always available on all the other etailers I check out...

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Which C&D blends are out of stock?
The two I've been waiting on for a couple of months are Yorktown and Bijou. I'm in no rush and these were 20% off. If they don't show up by the end of the year, I'll cancel them and just forget about it. It's not like I actually need more tobacco.

morgansteele

Can't Leave
Mar 23, 2018
Bijou's an awesome blend. I think I have a few on backorder from that sale.
1. What is Yorktown comparable to?

eggrollpiper

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2018
Sometimes if pnc and smoking pipes don't have, then 4noggins does. Not so much w the c and d's tho. I think with dunhils demise ppl are exploring c and d more. That could be one of the factors involved...

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
P&C not only ships my backorders, they ship them at their cost even when part of my original order was out of stock at the time, as long as the order hits the 'minimum'.

What is going on regarding stocking issues is a guessing game revolving around 'the money', I'm sure.

Seems these days that consolidation results in fewer choices and new production methods.

Someone (I know who, but I won't say it here) recently compared Jeremey Reeves to Russ Oulette (and G.L. Pease, for that matter) and I know that SPC seems to be an inside source for C&D products, while P&C is a source for Hearth & Home (russ).

Jeremey has only been blending about 3 yrs and under his guidance, C&D has had mold issues with red VA's.

I imagine that Jeremey has his heart in the right place and loves his job, but my sense is that you can't learn all you need to know to 'compete' with Russ or Greg in such a short time.

I want C&D to be able to provide the great quality consistency they enjoyed under the operation by the Tarlors, and I know that Laudisi does too, only on steroids. I think we may have given our new blender too much reign in experimenting with new blends w/o enough knowledge?

No mold on D&R blends, by the way, and I think Mark Ryan is about as knowledgeable about tobacco as anyone on earth.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
To my knowledge, the only issue with mold at C&D was several tins of the first batch of Carolina Red, a limited issue...
They've had mold problems with several blends before the disastrous Carolina Red Flake release, including GL Pease blends that they tin. They keep saying that they have solved the issue. I hope they have.

pandapiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2018
Spartan I too have backordered Fleet Commander from that promo.. along with 3 missing coin flips (not getting my hopes up there). Anyway, I noticed it was in stock last night and sent an email about it.. Hopefully they'll get back to me, I haven't had much luck in any responses from P&C so far.

spartan99

Can't Leave
Mar 10, 2017
Thanks, Panda. I noticed it was back in stock when they had their recent one-day 20% off sale. I was hoping it would ship soon, but it hasn't yet. I'll call them today.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
SP may be having problems getting needed components due to Hurricane Florence. That area was hit pretty hard and there's still flooding in that part of South Carolina.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

Que sera, sera. The world is backordered.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Spoiled as I am by the range of choices, I don't do backorders at all. By the time the order resurfaces, I may be off on some entirely different tangent with blends. As a point of principle, if it could be dignified that way, I try to support blends that are well supplied, distributed, and most often available. Blends outside that principle, I may order, but only as a change of pace, with little notion of reordering. Now as to when I open a tin, it could take forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.