PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

barleynbaccy

Can't Leave
May 31, 2013
I have been saving the empty baby food jars from our son for small crap on my work bench. The other night I was washing a couple out and a thought popped in my head. I could use them to hold a few bowls of tobacco and then not have to open my bigger mason jars as often.
Just wondering if anyone has experimented with this.

jitterbugdude

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2014
I have, not with tobacco though. I will say this... be very careful and wash your jars like there's no tomorrow. Some of those jars just do not let go of the food smell. The vast majority do but I've had a few that the smell never somes out. I'm thinking it might actually be the lid with its plastic lining that holds onto the smell.
It should work out well for you... just clean clean clean those jars.

jeepnewbie

Jul 12, 2013
Byron
www.facebook.com
I haven't personally. However I hear a lot of folks won't use things like store bought jelly jars, unless they are the mason kind. The baby food jars are similar in style to random jelly jar (non mason) while a lot smaller. Due to the style of the lid, while it keeps it sealed it may impart a baby food ghost onto your stash. Try it with one after a good boiling and let us know how it goes.

darthcider

Jan 24, 2014
Wales
I think it's the rubber seal on the lid that's holds the taste, but if you chose a product without a strong taste it should be OK.

Like others have said, give it a superclean and report back.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
"Some of those jars just do not let go of the food smell."
Mmmmm...Latakia and strained peas! Perique and minced chicken! Burley and creamed corn! Virginia and pureed prunes! The possibilities are manifold.

cynyr

Feb 12, 2012
Tennessee
I do keep a row of these in a carry box, along with my 'truck pipes'. I haven't noted any smell or adverse taste after a good cleaning. No problems with freshness, either, and some of the blends have been in there for months.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
The smell is retained in the lid, the glass won't hold any smell. I've had good luck with washing the lids WELL, then fill the lid with fresh baking soda, and let it set a few days. I've also wetted the soda after filling and letting it set too. This has worked well for me.

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
I posted the same thing about 1-2 years ago (took alot of crap for it too!). But I'll tell ya still use them and they do work great. Never taste the food ghosting and the rubber on the lid makes them perfect. When you have little ones you have an almost unlimited supply of these.

darthcider

Jan 24, 2014
Wales
Latakia and strained peas or Lakeland?

I bet some on here would still choose the pea flavoured stuff.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Being that glass is non permeable it would definitely have to be the lids that retain any type of smell.

All the glass needs is a good washing with hot soapy water.

apiperisdown

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 28, 2014
I could use them to hold a few bowls of tobacco
Brilliant.
I do keep a row of these in a carry box, along with my 'truck pipes’
Exactly.
I’ve been needing a way to keep a variety of small amounts fresh and on hand in my work vehicle. This site is a constant source of information and inspiration for a learner such as myself. Thanks @barleynbaccy and @cynyr you’ve made my day. My kids are grown and gone but the dogs are certainly in for some Gerber delight so I can harvest the jars. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.