PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JMcQ

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 9, 2019
Atlantic Beach, FL
I'm looking for a good pipe/tobacco store in the Jacksonville, FL area. I have of course googled and yelped my way around the city and found nothing worthy of mention. It's just hard to believe, that in such a large city (the largest, in area, in the U.S.), doesn't have at least one dedicated store to this. Also, if anyone knows of a pipe lounge or club in the area, please share.

Has on-line completely taken over, or is the hobby/life/art of pipe smoking dying? How do we resurrect it?

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
They no longer exist. The last decent one was in the San Marco area. The only true tobacco store (2 locations) in town is really just a cigar store. They still keep a couple of jars of bulk (laughable) and no tins. i got into a discussion with the manager a couple of years ago. The high tax rate that FL put on pipe tobacco because of all of the RYO joints calling their product pipe tobacco, made it impossible to compete with online stores. Conversely, FL has one of the lowest cigars taxes (think Ybor) and cigars can be a good buy.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A real classic pipe shop is a tourist destination these days, Nat Sherman in Manhattan, Iwan Ries in Chicago. I consider the remaining one in Raleigh, N.C., a sort of shrine. Most medium sized cities don't have a good one. Even on Manhattan there are two or three, but out in the burroughs a sign saying tobacco shop means cigarettes and maybe cigars, and not good ones. So a pipe shop is a rare and beautiful thing.

Reactions: dcon
Status
Not open for further replies.