PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnMosesBrowning

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 5, 2018
Southeast Michigan
I'm all about supporting my local brick and mortar pipe and tobacco resource, but I'm feeling like there's a bit of gouging here. "Basket Pipes" (including MM cobs with stickers still on them) are $40. Their bulk blends are exceptionally expensive as well. They're selling HGL that they've added some (how much, I don't know) perique to for $10/ounce.
Am I being unreasonable thinking this place is a bit steep even for a B&M?

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Prices do seem a bit steep. For a moment there I thought you were in Canada, where 1 oz is ~$20. The basket pipes in my local B&M are $35 CAD, but they only have briars there. I won't pay more than $10 USD for a cob, unless it's a very especial one.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
What state do you live in? State taxes on tobacco can double the prices that you'd pay online. Add to that the increased overhead of running a small shop and the costs add up.
And, for what it's worth, nobody has ripped you off if they haven't been deceptive and/or if you haven't actually bought anything from them.

Ohh, here we go again.

"Gouging, rip off, unfair!" Sir, there is nothing preventing you from turning around and walking out, or did they stop you at the door, take your wallet, rough you up a bit, and toss you out the door?

Some places are just more expensive to operate. Suck it up and pay it, or leave. There is really no call for slamming one of the nation's last tobacco B&Ms, because you are insulted by something that no one is forcing you to pay.
You have the option to shop online or anywhere else you prefer.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
A friend of mine used to own a small engine repair shop and while there one day a customer walks in looking for chain saw chain.
So my buddy asks the particulars and with that proceeds to cut the chain to length and then wraps it in heavy butcher paper.
He tells to customer the final cost and the customer freaks out and exclaims, "I can get the same thing from Mail Order for a lot cheaper.
My buddy then says that he'll match the price of the Mail Order place. Now the customer is excited.
Then my buddy places the package containing the chain back on the shelf behind him and tells the customer. Come back in 3-5 days and you can pick the chain up, since that's the standard shipping time.
I loved it. The customer stormed out.

JohnMosesBrowning

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 5, 2018
Southeast Michigan
[/quote]Ohh, here we go again.

"Gouging, rip off, unfair!" Sir, there is nothing preventing you from turning around and walking out, or did they stop you at the door, take your wallet, rough you up a bit, and toss you out the door?

Some places are just more expensive to operate. Suck it up and pay it, or leave. There is really no call for slamming one of the nation's last tobacco B&Ms, because you are insulted by something that no one is forcing you to pay.
You have the option to shop online or anywhere else you prefer.
Michael

Wow! Hostile much? I believe I posed it as a question as I'm not familiar with what other people experience at their own B&M and whether or not this degree of mark up is "typical" Geesh, so much for your friendly neighborhood place for newbies to ask questions. Good day to you sir.

mechanic

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 1, 2018
Closest thing i have to a b&m near me is a cigarette shop that has 4 or 5 renamed lane blends they have the lane names listed on jars under there store brand names for around $3 a ounce the dont have any tobacco pipes that are not made of glass.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
To answer the OP's question, that seems a bit high. B&M's will always be higher than online as they have to be. They're not doing the volume and have overhead costs an online shop doesn't have. As mentioned, some states have punitive tobacco taxes (FL, IL and WA come to mind, I'm sure there are others).
If I go into a B&M, they have a nice smoking lounge and the people are nice, I'll buy a few things at their marked up price to justify using their facilities. If I find the prices to be at the gouging level, I'm likely to hang around long enough to be polite and leave. I own a business and would be 10 x more upset if we are ever the lowest price than to find out we lost a job because we were the highest priced. It depends on what you're actually selling and in the OP's case, it depends on what you're actually buying.
I'm generally not walking into a B&M actually looking for tobacco or pipes. In today's society where places to comfortably relax and smoke are scarce, I feel like I'm buying a comfortable chair for an hour or three. If the price for that chair comes in the form of paying $10 an ounce for some tobacco, I feel like I found a bargain. Of course, I could stand outside the hotel in the freezing cold and enjoy the $5 I saved.

mau1

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
Ontario, Canada
To be fair to the OP, he's new and most likely isn't aware of the strong support for B&M's here. In comparison to another B&M in his area, he found the prices high.

Status
Not open for further replies.