PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
I'm generally not walking into a B&M actually looking for tobacco or pipes. In today's society where places to comfortably relax and smoke are scarce, I feel like I'm buying a comfortable chair for an hour or three. If the price for that chair comes in the form of paying $10 an ounce for some tobacco, I feel like I found a bargain. Of course, I could stand outside the hotel in the freezing cold and enjoy the $5 I saved.
This +100

raevans

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 20, 2013
I'm generally not walking into a B&M actually looking for tobacco or pipes. In today's society where places to comfortably relax and smoke are scarce, I feel like I'm buying a comfortable chair for an hour or three. If the price for that chair comes in the form of paying $10 an ounce for some tobacco, I feel like I found a bargain. Of course, I could stand outside the hotel in the freezing cold and enjoy the $5 I saved.
BINGO!!!!!

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
At what point can I insert the beating of a dead horse gif on your behalf?
Let's join hands and do this together!
696.gif

Ehhhh, it has to hit 3 pages before we can start to talking about dead horses guys!!
The terms, "rip off," and "gouging," set to tone of the post. Thus, my comment.
But, no those prices aren't usual (in my area), unless there is more going on that we may not be aware of in your reporting. However, in much of the US those are spot on prices, because of costs and taxes.
B&M's usually don't make any money off of tobaccos, as they pay (wholesale) pretty darn close to what we pay for them via the online retailers, one of which is the wholesaler undercutting their B&M support by setting competitive prices online.
My "usual" B&M sells Escudo for $25 a tin, which is almost twice as much as I can get it online, but yet, they fly off the shelf, with them only having it in stock about once every other month and gone the next day. It seems to sell. Ha ha. But, that is one of their unusual product prices. They still have pretty "good" prices on other things. But, he makes his money off of cigars and high end pipes... not tobacco.
But, B&M's have much more offer than just products. So, your usually paying (as Hoosier says) for a place to smoke, camaraderie, and expertise behind the counter.
Now, my initial response of "here we go again" was to the terms "rip off," and "gouging." These come up... If I don't like the prices or the services of a place, I usually just leave. My wife knows that if a waitress asks me more than four questions about how I want my food, I will drop a 5 on the table and leave with a kind smile. But, I take full responsibility for my actions. It wasn't the restaurants fault. They just didn't offer me what and how I want.
If I want to offer up a Dr. Grabow for $200, then that is my prerogative. If you don't want to pay that, then that is yours. I wasn't trying to rip anyone off, no gouging as you don't "have" to buy it at all. I can ask a million dollars for my lawnmower, and once again, my prerogative, and yours. There's no reason to bash me or whatever... there are other places with cheaper prices... if that suits your needs better.
I don't know this B&M of which you speak, but it just sounds like the place doesn't offer you anything. So, I would just expect that you won't go there again. I wouldn't either, and I don't blame you. There's also a Vietnamese restaurant here that I won't go back to, ha ha, as I have no idea what the noodle choices mean, nor the damnedable sauces they offer, ha ha. Too many choices over things I have no idea what they are just ruins my appetite. but, apparently some people like that place. :puffy:

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
Sorry, I only buy early 20th century Dunhill lawnmowers. Does it have silver banding? Can we see the hallmarks?

Dec 28, 2015
To the original question yes those prices sound very high. As others have said my local B&M charges more than on line prices but not THAT much more. Therefore I try my best to buy from them on a semi regular basis because I love being able to drive over during the day and buy a tin or accessories and talk tobacco or just general discussion with someone I enjoy speaking with.
As for the rest of the discussion yes this forum is full of jackasses. Many seemingly innocent threads quickly become dick measuring contests. The sooner you figure that out the better off you are. Sounds like you are well on your way to that discovery.

Jeez guys, you really need to lighten up. None of this is very serious. It's just an opinion. If the someone is going to get bent the first time someone has a differing opinion, then maybe forums aren't for you. But, really, if you lighten up and roll with it, we could discuss and have some camaraderie. And, maybe we all learn something... even me.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Give Cosmic a break. He's been posting at this site before the internet was even invented. After 17,000 plus posts, it's reasonable to understand how he is a bit bored. I mean, how many times can you discuss proper cadence, how to load flake, etc. before you start pulling your hair out.
I've met Michael a few times, in real life, he's actually a decent fellow and harmless. He will speak his mind but his delivery is gentle.

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
If I like the setting and the folks who work there, I’ll pay $10 for an ounce of something new. Maybe a few other things.
And I’d continue to purchase from a few of this site’s sponsors. :mrgreen:

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Yes, Michael is one of the good guys, always willing to engage and be helpful. Just a bit over the top on this one, one out of many thousands.
JMB- $40 for a cob would chap my hide, too. But we've had too many discussions on gouging. Gouging is selling water at inflated prices, for instance, when it's the only supply in town and there are no other alternatives- usually in the wake of a natural disaster.

Tone... forums lack tone... would it help if you imagined me holding a stuffed squirrel above my head as you read this?
Rereading the OP, and to keep it... “on track.” $40 for a bucket pipe is pretty reasonable. A hunk of briar if about that price. And $10 for a store blended bulk... not unreasoned at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.