PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dogdoc81

Lurker
Nov 26, 2015
Howdy All,

So in the past year I began pursuing pipe smoking. I watched an uncle, a man who was like a second father, smoke a pipe for as long as I can remember. The desire for a relaxing hobby peaked my curiosity in pipe smoking. So off to the local corner pharmacy for a MM Legend. Well, a year plus later and Im still in love with corn cobs. I'm up to five. All the larger size with hardwood plugs. I found out about Forever Stems pretty early on and so all the cobs are dressed up. I've tried briar but I'm a clencher and the weight of a briar makes my head and jaw ache. Finding that I like English's a lot. My first tobacco passion was cigars so English's offer a complexity I appreciate and a nicotine lewevel I can tolerate.
I joined this site because honestly I've learned so much from this community just surfing. And I have to say the internet is full of jerks and I have never seen anything but respect and helpfulness here. So, just wanted to say hello and how about a game of "If you like x you will love y.". I like Frog Morton On The Town a whole lot. Knowing that what would you recommend? Thanks!

blackbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 13, 2015
It becomes a lifestyle in time if you stick with it....stay on the forums too long it may become an obsession lol. Welcome to the forums.
Dunhill - Nightcap Certainly a must try if you haven't already.
Oh, and if someone offers to send you something. Don't freak out. It happens regularly between members here.

damianmonk

Might Stick Around
Aug 26, 2015
Nightcap has become my all-time favourite. It's an all day smoke with wonderful smell and taste

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
You all knew I was going to be the one to do it, right? Black Frigate is excellent in a cob! Try all of the Frog Mortons too. All are great smokes.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
1. “English" - latakia, virginia, little orientals. "British Woods"
2. "Oriental" - little latakia, little virginia, and lots of orientals. "Balkan Sasieni", "Penzance"
3. "American English" - little latakia, little virginia, burley, little orientals. "Walnut"

4. Scottish oriental: little latakia, a little virginia, lots of orientals, and black cavendish

So, if you like:

Balkan Sobranie - See what you think of McClelland's Grand Orientals: Yenidje Highlander
GLPease Raven's Wing - Brebbia's Preludio Mixture No. 60
McClelland's Anniversary - Rattray's Jocks Mixture
Esoterica's And So to Bed - McClelland's Frog Morton on the Town
Esoterica's Penzance - J.F. Germain's Special Latakia Flake
Esoterica's Margate - CAO/Dan Tobacco's Gordon Pym

Dunhill 956 - Red Rapparee. Nowadays GLP Westminster- Tewkesbury Celtic Talisman- Rattray's Accountants Mixture.- Peterson Old Dublin

GLP Westminster: "spirit of Original Dunhill London Blend"

White Knight- reproduction of taste of Balkan Sobranie.-

Lord Nelson (Elloit's Select) very similar to

Chief Catoonah Heritage Mixture, very cool Latakia blend with red Virginia
Dunhill Light Flake - Wessex Brown Flake - Germain's Brown.
Erinmore Flake - try Dunhill Light Flake. Seriously. If you're a slow smoker, you will probably not even miss the trollop scent.

Tinderbox Sherlock's Choice/smokers Haven Exotique

Other types:

Samuel Gawith Best Brown Flake - GLP Union Square

Escudo= Dunhill Deluxe Navy Rolls
Stonehaven =Mac Baren HH Old Dark Fired

Wessex Brown Virginia Flake= John Aylesbury Luxury Flake
Dunhill Flake= Wessex Gold Virginia Flake
Wessex Brigade Campaign Dark Flake= Astleys no 44 Dark Flake

Arcadia - Presbyterian.
Westminster - Three Oaks.
MacBaren Virginia Flake - Orlik Golden Sliced.
Escudo - Davidoff Flake Medallions.- Dunhill Deluxe Navy Rolls: tastes reminiscent of Brigham Acadian Blend

GLP Fillmore - McClelland Beacon Extra

Solani Red Label- Peterson Irish Whiskey: the solani is far sweeter with more whiskey flavor. MacBaren H&H Highland Blend is closer to the Solani.

Marlin Flake and Astleys No. 44 are closer in taste, with MF being lighter and sweeter than No. 44. IMO.

Sutliff Z-40 Black Cordial: Tewksbury Hobbits Weed

MacBaren Plumcake: Similar Blends: Dunhill Early Morning Pipe, McClelland Frog Morton Cellar, Peterson Irish Oak.

Three Nuns: Villiger Cocktail Hour is similar to the present Three Nuns production. Peter Heinrich Special Curly is supposed to be similar to the old. Most reviews say it isn't close. I agree.

HH Vintage Syrian- similar to Bill Bailey's Balkan Blend and Ashton Artisan Blend

McClellands Legends- similar to GLP Odyssey

G.L. Pease Sextant (flake) - exactly like C&D Black Frigate (crumble cake)

G.L. Pease Navigator: much like the current production Three Nuns.(NO)

Solani Aged Burley Flake: much like old Edgeworth Slices.

Hearth and Home Viprati is similar to Dunhill Elizabethan

Butera Golden Cake (like F&T CVP)- like the old Capstan Blue used to taste

Brigham Hudson's Bay (Like a milder Royal Yacht, not quite as strong nic-wise)

Gatsby Flake (Exactly like Solani Silver Flake)

Orlick Golden Sliced- similar to Lane 125th Anniversary Blend, Royal Jersey Perique, and D&R S.J. Rimboche.

fyfol

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 3, 2015
I can suggest SG Skiff Mix. from my limited experience of smoking Englishes in a cob.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
+1 on Nightcap and Latakia blends in general. I tend to buy in 'bulk' not in the tin and Nightcap is available that way.

Read the reviews at tobaccoreviews.com. They've got a comprehensive list by Blender/Mfr. and indicate what is in a blend.

Look for the reviews by JimInks because his are about as accurate as it gets.

One year, eh? Not a bad start, old man!

Welcome to the forums.

mike

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Welcome, hope you have as much fun here on the forums as many of us do.

One thing I would recommend. Do a search for "Just For Him" online. They have some nice house blends that I smoke regularly that are a somewhat like the Frog Morton series. Under bulk blends check the Middle Earth Pipeweed series, the ones I like the best are Ruins of Isengard and Shortcut to Mushrooms. Also look up Whiskey Biscuit Gravy, one of my favorites that's a great smoke. Most of these blends incorporate some latakia tobacco in them, but it's not real upfront and in your face.

Oh yeah, what chasingembers said, C&D's BLACK FRIGATE!

fordm60

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 19, 2014
Welcome to the forum! I love C&D Star of the East and Engine 99 and as they come in bulk the price point is very nice!

dogdoc81

Lurker
Nov 26, 2015
Thanks for all the replies and recommendations. From the looks of it I'm gonna need a lot of time and mason jars. I tried Dunhill London Mixture and didn't care for it. Can't put my finger on what didn't appeal to me. I was smoking Ashton consummate gentleman for a few tins before I found Frog Morton. I got a tin of Ashton artisans blend aging in a makeshift cellar. Order of Dunhill Early Morning and some Virginia blends on the way. I think I'm missing the boat on Burley's but I look forward to going back to them later and seeing if I like them.

Status
Not open for further replies.