Awesome Filter Idea for MM Cobs!!!

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jchaplick

Preferred Member
May 8, 2011
So tonight while I was sitting watching watching Tosh.0 an interesting thought came into my head. I was wanting a small smoke, but I just moved last week and most of my pipes are in boxes somewhere, but I had a cob in my car. It was a MM country gent. I however hate the super loose draw, but i also hate those stupid paper filters. Here i my spontaneous idea that works very well so far, ill tell you how it smokes after I light it in a minute.

Thats a brigham rock maple filter, it fits pretty snug in the plastic bit, but I think it will work out well, im about to give it a try, tell me what you think.

auspipe

Feb 19, 2012
Australia
I hate buying the filters and they dont sell them in Australia so I stopped using them, but I do not like it when ash comes through, and yes the draw is a little loose. It looks like a good idea, let us know how it works out.

nsfisher

Preferred Member
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
There are so many options here that you could try. The rockmaple filter works and you can take 1/2 or so off the end if you so choose. 6mm Balsa Wood filters also work terrific. Or, simply take an inch square of regular paper and roll it, insert in place of a filter. When smoke is done, remove and toss.

jchaplick

Preferred Member
May 8, 2011
Well I just tried it and it worked, I also have a bunch of cig filters, they do work too, but I hate changing it everytime is the thing. The paper thing will probably work too, ill give it a try, I have tons of paper, lots to recycle, maybe ill smoke it as a filter, than compost the remains, thats green pipe smoking right there

nsfisher

Preferred Member
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
When I smoke my Brigs, I remove the Rockmaple filter and replace it with a clean, dry one before each smoke. I rinse the used one under hot tap water and put it up to dry. I always open a full pack of 8 filters and rotate them for about 30-40 smokes each before tossing them. Which means 240-320 smokes on an 8 pack for $3.00
I use the 6mm Balsa Wood filters the same way.

bailey331

Jan 24, 2012
I have been using the paper filter but have cut them into threes, justto keep the fire ash from hitting my throat. It works. I like the inch of paper idea and will try it out soon.

jchaplick

Preferred Member
May 8, 2011
The paper worked, but I like the brigham filter better, made for a better smoke

schmitzbitz

Preferred Member
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
I do exactly this - although I like to trim off a half-inch, and wrap the remaining dowel with a bit of tin-foil (a half inch strip, wrapped around to bring the OD to 6mm), so I can use it to reduce the draw in any 6mm filter pipe.

spartan

Preferred Member
Aug 14, 2011
LOL TopD that genious.
Since tobacco is so dang great at absorbing moisture that's sure to make a dry smoke lol.
I guess you could even put the backy you hate to use this way as well...