PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

robwoodall

Can't Leave
Apr 29, 2015
Last week I posted a question about Lakeland blends and Booker volunteered to send me a few samples.
Well... His idea of "a few" ended up looking like one of my monthly tobacco orders. He even included a couple of corncob pipes, in case I was worried about ghosting my other pipes. I'm not, but it was a very generous gesture.
I started with 1792 Flake. I liked it, and it burned well after a few hours drying. It came very damp. It has a LOT of floral overtones. I doubt it will be a favorite, but I do think I'll buy some for an occasional change of pace.
Next I tried Kendal Cream. Even after drying, I can't keep it lit! It tastes good. Floral, but not so much as 1792. If I can learn how to smoke it, it could become a regular. Unfortunately, even bone dry, I ended up puffing so hard that it became uncomfortable to smoke.
Grousemore Plug I'm smoking my second bowl of right now. It doesn't like to stay lit either, but it does burn better than the Kendal Cream. Lots of re-lights, but not so much tongue bite. The flavor is milder than Kendal Cream. In fact, I like Kendal Cream better, if I could keep it lit!
Balkan Flake is definitely a new favorite! It burns well and only has a tiny bit of the odd, floral taste, so may not be a "true" Lakeland, but I really like it, and will be ordering more!
I haven't even opened Dark Flake Unsented, but it smells wonderful. Nor have I opened Kendal Plug.
Luckily, he sent so much of each, I still have plenty left to "practice" on.
Anyway, thank you, Booker!

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
He sent me a tin of the new Three Year Matured and a 2007 tin of Penzance.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Booker may be right in sending you the cobs. The Lakelands with the floral and soapy flavors can hang on in pipes, according to many who've sampled them. Even people who aren't especially fussy find it limiting when smoking other blends, where they don't want the residual aromatics. Lakelands with aromatic flavorings are famous for this. If you know you don't mind, so be it, but many complain.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
MSO489: that's why I don't smoke them in briars. Even in a meer, I completely wipe the bowl and shank clean after smoking a bowl of a Lakeland. I did dedicate one cob to them, though.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Yeah Booker is a wicked good guy. I believe that a great deal of the goodwill bouncing around this forum is of his doing. Just be careful. He can be a bit like a cocaine dealer, giving you the great stuff and getting you hooked on product that you'll never be able to again find ;) Bookers wonderful and brilliant kindness can be a bit of a double edged sword.... a little like a friend loaning you his/hers Bugatti for a weekend, allowing you to learn you love something that you can't ever have again :)

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Hi that Dark Flake! Hit it! One of the best tobaccos known to man and pipe smokers! And cheap!

Status
Not open for further replies.